Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father brought these back after the war:

A gift from a member of the Swamp Fox family:

I don't know too much about knives, any information on this one?

A S&W survival knife I bought back in the 70s.

Only used once and that was by a game warden who gave us part of a 12 point buck we were all set to hunt down on the first day of the season on base when somebody hit it by the main gate. He needed a knife which I happen to have and gave us a leg that my partner used and the rest was going to charity .

My survival knife from the Air Force that I carried incase of cobras, vipers, kraits or anything else I came across.
The pocket knife I salvaged from a crashed C-130. It was most likely thrown out from a destroyed emergency kit. I found it near what was left of the cargo floor.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it turns out my kid married into the swamp Fox family. Part of the family used to live not far from here but since them they moved into the northern part of the state.
The oldest member was the one who gave me the knife. It turns out that most of the time he would carry a 1911 but also had a collection of knives to fight with. He told me that once in a while he would have tu take a Garand so he would have to get off a few shots to show he knew how to use it. On one such time he pulled the trigger and something broke and he went full auto, scaring him for a few seconds.
When he did have a M-1 he would go out with a few others loaded with tracers and a radio and scout ahead. They would look for fields with hay stacks and then sit inside the trees and fire tracers into the stacks to set them on fire. If they started to move the radio was used to call in the co-ordinates for the artillery so they could take out the German tanks hidden there. The Swamp Fox drove the British crazy during the Revolution and he was no slouch either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts