Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure it’s a Smith & Wesson forum, but I would bet there are more than a few of us that have a Ruger SP101 in the gun safe. I bought this one used back in $2013 for $425. A few years ago I put a 10# Reduced weight main spring in it and polished up the strut resulting in a really nice trigger pull with 100% reliabilty on CCI primers. I had it out to clean after shooting last weekend and went over te exterior lightly with Mothers. This was more to clean any imbedded gunshot residue than to polish but it came out half decent
Revolver Everyday carry Tool Machine

Lets see those SP 101’s

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Looks good!! I put Wolff springs in both of my SP101's, polished the strut and also polished some surfaces in the trigger group, per an article in the American Gunsmith journals I subscribe to. Their trigger smoothness will go toe to toe with any S&W.

I actually prefer an SP101 over a J-Frame.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good!! I put Wolff springs in both of my SP101's, polished the strut and also polished some surfaces in the trigger group, per an article in the American Gunsmith journals I subscribe to. Their trigger smoothness will go toe to toe with any S&W.

I actually prefer an SP101 over a J-Frame.
Yep, mine is smooth as silk now, but the Rugers do have a noticeably longer trigger stroke than a S&W. When shooting magnums the extra 4 ounces of the SP101 comes in handy to reduce felt recoil

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
I happened into a SP101 Snub at a nearby gun shop several years ago.

He had just taken it in from a customer that could not handle it (unable to cock the hammer or pull through double action). It was almost new, and had trigger work done on it.

It's now my only snub nose revolver. These are particularly well built, with a very novel action that comes out in one piece.

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Like my SP101 as well. Bought some grip inserts from Chig's to give it a little class. A few pics...one of just my SP101 and the other with it's big brother..my 3" GP100. Both great shooters.

The GP100 grips with the snakeskin checkered rubber and wood inserts are from Altamont.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My SP101 DAO .357 isn't the my best looking, most accurate or even favorite revolver but it's the one that goes with me every day. After a 10# mainspring, hammer & hammer dog shims and sanding and polishing the spring strut the trigger is light, smooth and reliable. AIWB in a cheap Bianchi suede holster is very comfortable and I do forget it's there sometimes. Group picture is the GP100 4", Speed Six 3" and the SP 2.25".
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts