Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd ask here as the gunsmithing is for S&W pistols! I recently purchased a Wiley Clapp model 3" Ruger SP-101. Both the single action and double action are TERRIBLE! Of course, the only thing I have to compare to is my S&W 625-8 JM which is SWEET!
OK let me get to the point. I have NO gunsmith within 80+ miles so I need to do something simple to make the trigger pull lighter and smoother. I'm sure changing out springs will help. So, what is a good place to find very simple, step by step how to do this without getting myself in trouble!
Any other suggestions as to what I can do?

THANKS
Sarge

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Here is an excellent guide to working on the SP 101 trigger
Ruger SP101 Trigger Job Guide
Replacement spring kits are available here
https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SP-101/cID3/mID52/dID234
I ended up using the 10# main spring and left the factory trigger return spring in place. I originally tried the 8# trigger return spring and felt the trigger return was sluggish. I also installed shims to center the hammer better.
The 10# main spring made a huge difference in the trigger pull

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of very good information in that article/instruction set! Wolff Springs - should have known that!
THANKS
Sarge

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Lots of very good information in that article/instruction set! Wolff Springs - should have known that!
THANKS
Sarge
I can't point you at specifics, but there are some Youtube videos on the subject too that can be helpful

· Registered
18,112 Posts
I did mine 6 or 7 years ago. I have shot hundreds of rounds since and had no light strikes. Most were my reloads with CCI primers, which are harder than most.

· Registered
114 Posts
I did mine too. Seems the stock triggers on the SP101 suck. I installed a 10# Wolff hammer spring...an 8# trigger spring and hammer shims. Glass smooth now.

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK gang this is going to sound REALLY "odd". I complain about the trigger on my 101 even though I haven't shot it yet, just dry firing. I didn't like the stock grips; I have small hands and they just didn't feel right. SO got a Hogue Monogrip and put it on the weapon just now. Now the odd part! The trigger pull feels different, i.e. not as heavy in both single action and especially in double action!! I'm sure it has something to do with the new grips repositioning my hand differently. Anyone want to weigh in on this perceived difference!
Tomorrow or at the latest Thursday, providing the rain stays away, is range day so the proof will be in the shooting.

Sarge

· Registered
18,112 Posts
OK gang this is going to sound REALLY "odd". I complain about the trigger on my 101 even though I haven't shot it yet, just dry firing. I didn't like the stock grips; I have small hands and they just didn't feel right. SO got a Hogue Monogrip and put it on the weapon just now. Now the odd part! The trigger pull feels different, i.e. not as heavy in both single action and especially in double action!! Anyone want to weigh in on this perceived difference!
Tomorrow or at the latest Thursday, providing the rain stays away, is range day so the proof will be in the shooting.

Sarge
Different grips probably change the geometry between your hand and the trigger. In this case it must position your hand to get better leverage on the trigger

· Super Moderator
36,460 Posts
OK gang this is going to sound REALLY "odd". I complain about the trigger on my 101 even though I haven't shot it yet, just dry firing. I didn't like the stock grips; I have small hands and they just didn't feel right. SO got a Hogue Monogrip and put it on the weapon just now. Now the odd part! The trigger pull feels different, i.e. not as heavy in both single action and especially in double action!! I'm sure it has something to do with the new grips repositioning my hand differently. Anyone want to weigh in on this perceived difference!

Sarge
With the Ruger revolvers we have here, A GP100 4" and a SP101 3", both .357 Magnum, I have found that the trigger does improve quite a bit and smooths out nicely after putting rounds downrange.

· Registered
114 Posts
With the Ruger revolvers we have here, A GP100 4" and a SP101 3", both .357 Magnum, I have found that the trigger does improve quite a bit and smooths out nicely after putting rounds downrange.
That may be true. I had put several hundred down range with mine and it was still gritty and heavy. The glass smooth action that it posseses now makes it a pure pleasure to shoot.

· Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well with 60 rds. down range the trigger does seem to be smoothing out, not much but is a noticeable difference. More rds. will tell!
Thanks everyone!
Sarge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts