Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Mine is the basic 2.25 inch. I tried the Hogue grip but besides making concealment harder, it didn't seem to dampen recoil very well. I carry mine with the stock grip with the plastic inserts covered in rubberized grip tape. The gun is accurate and heavy enough to shoot full power 158gr ammo without feeling like someone smacked your palm with a ball bat. I picked this one up used at the LGS about 3 years ago for $400. Trigger can be a bit heavy and mine was kind of rough . I tore it down and found the mainspring strut had some pretty rough edges I smoothed the edges with 400 grit sandpaper and ordered a spring kit. The kit had 9#, 10# and I believe a 12# spring. Stock is 13 or 14 pounds. I put in the 10# spring and the DA trigger pull is now smooth and almost as nice as a S&W K frame. Have fired probably 500 rounds with lighter spring and no light strikes. Spring kit came with a lighter trigger return spring. Tried it and found trigger return to be sluggish so returned to stock. Also got hammer shims with kit. I noticed rub marks on 1 side of hammer. Easy to install. I have poor mechanical skills and found the work I did to be quite easy and it all cost me under $25 and took maybe an hour. I really like the gun and have no desire to part with it. Galco Combat Master holster carries it fairly high and tight and its comfortable enough to carry all day. Have seen them on sale as low as $479 around here, but usually they are over $500 and used one are rarely below $425. The sometimes gritty and kind of heavy trigger are the only negative points and that issue is easily addressed. Front sight is pinned so if you don't like it there are numerous options out there. I'll bet you could fire all the magnums you cared to from one and it will still be in fine shape for the next owner to fire all he can stand. I know I'll never wear mine out.

0115161320.jpg galcocm.jpg img_0962.jpg

·
Registered
617 Posts
You won't find much negative about the SP101 except weight for a snub nosed, and rough trigger out of the box. Mine had so many rounds through it, I lost count. It has ridden in the glove box of my sons pick up on the farm for 3 years now. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
My wife has one. Ok revolver, but the worst trigger I have ever seen! Even after 1,000 dry fires and a trigger job, it still is nowhere near as smooth and my 60 & 65. It's a shame, because the rest of the revolver is very decent. As far as durabilty goes, I'm sure it's great, but I've been shooting magnums out of my 60-9 since I bought it 20 years ago with no ill effects whatsoever.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Bill, I have 3 SP101's. A older .22 that belonged to an Indian fellow we both know who started in the Marines as a buck private & retired as a bird Colonel. It shoots very well, the only thing I changed was to some Hogue grips that actually fit a human hand. It's part f my permanent collction. #2 is a older .38 special that I picked up @ the Wickenburg gun show several years ago. It was loaned to a young lady whose husband was in training @ Fort Huachuca & she was staying alone near here. I taught her to shoot it & she was good enough w/ it her husband made real sure she knew when it was him coming through the gate. He offered to let her carry his Gluck .40 but she kept on borrowing the more accurate SP101. Later my son carried it on construction jobs & in the hills & couldn't break it (this is the kid who hunts jackrabbits by roaring through the pasture in a pickup). :? It accounted for a lot of snakes & probably pounded a few nails. I still have it, still works fine. #3 is a .357 bought from our mutual friend Needsmo, he threw in a set of very nice bone grip inserts. They're all accurate, tough as an anvil but the actions, even when polished up, don't compare w/ a S&W. Polishing the action is harder too since the parts are fished in through the bottom & harder to smooth the frame. If you're looking for a good, solid, pocket-sized, shooter that can do duty as a club, hammer or boat anchor a SP101 is ideal. If you could only take 1 on an extended 20 year hike where cleaning means swirling it around in a river it would be a great choice... competing in target matches, not so good.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I have a 2.25 SP-101 in .357 and though it is a bit on the heavy side for a 5 shot snubbie there is something about it that will not let me part with it. I have had Hogue and Pachmayr grips on it but have gone back to the factory grips and replaced the plastic inserts with wood inserts. I replaced the front sight insert with a XS Big Dot nite sight. When I carry it now it is with .38 special +p 158 grain LSWC ammo. I am a mear shell of my old 125 grain JHP .357 self. Forum Member Slimchance rolls a nice moderate loaded 158 grain Plated LSWC in .357 that was plesant to shoot in "Tuff Stuff" last time we were at the range.My holster for carry is a SideGuard Quick Clip. If you can get an SP-101 for under $500 OTD in my area that would be a good deal IMHO .

IMG_0091.jpg "Tuff Stuff"

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
I only have 2 SP101's, a 3" bbl .32 H&R Mag when they first came out, and my recent purchase, a 4.2".327 Federal Mag.

It was disappointing to see the changes they have undergone between my first one and the recent one... and like the S&W's of today, you had better closely inspect your planned purchase to ferret out the warts to pick out a better specimen.

While the trigger pull out of the box is much heavier and rougher on the new one, we'll see if a Wolff spring kit and some judicious polishing of the action works the same magic as it did with my 1st one.

On that gun, I could blindfold you, hand you it and a S&W and you'd have a difficult time telling me which gun was in which hand.... but we'll see how the new gun fairs with it's MIM hammer and trigger. My experience with working the MIM actions of my S&W 625-8 JM and 986 has shown me that the MIM parts sans the final machining of a forged part, seems to be smoother from the get go, requiring less hand work.

I like the Ruger cylinder lockup with the lug on the front of the crane that engages the cutout in the frame. People often compare the SP101 with S&W J Frames, but when you place one next to a J and K-Frame, it becomes more apparent that they are more like a slightly undersized K-Frame.

The biggest advantage... no worries, in where you keep and use them. Drop a Ruger on the ground, you dust it off and lament about a new ding/scratch, do that with a S&W and you'll probably be agonizing about the occurrence, ready to offer up a body part in exchange for turning back the clock to undo the damage.

For a .357 "belly gun" of sorts... my favorite is this Ruger Speed-Six, for the same reasons as the SP101... use me, abuse me.

DSC01682.JPG

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
I like this one so much that it replaced the S&W model 60-10 I used to carry concealed:

The Smith was smoother with a better trigger, but with shooting the Ruger did improve greatly. I did prefer the heavier weight and better balance of the SP and found it more comfortable when shooting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have one of the 32H&R models with the 3" barrel and it is a pleasure to shoot. If I were in your shoes looking at one of the three you listed I think I would go with the "Cal Ranch store had a plain Jane model on close out for 495." The price is pretty good and the gun is a snub, not a target gun so I think if the standard sights work for you then go for it. To me the Clapp model is over priced and to cut into the top strap to add a Novak sight weakens the top strap. The $200+ sights are not worth it to me on a snubby.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
From here my answer would depend a lot on what you want it's use to be.
As a snubby concealed gun I found them to be heavier than it needed to be. Grips were always inadequate and fullhouse 357 loads romped on my signal finger knuckle regularly . So it wasn't a concealed gun or a range gun.
Nothing against the gun , just did not work for me. .
Where they did make sense for me is the 4" platform as a smallish packin trail gun. The adjustable sight make all the difference to me. Pick a caliber they all work well. As such the grips are even more inadequate but my search ended when I found some Trausch Grips that really work for me. I know rubber is next to a sin but,,,,,,,,, O heck , I have no excuse , they just work well.

Dare we hope that now they have a frame for adjustable sights a snubby or 3" so equipped may come along ?

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Dare we hope that now they have a frame for adjustable sights a snubby or 3" so equipped may come along ?
That would be nice... or what I was considering at one time. I saw this on a Ruger forum, it's from a 2009 post that I saved the pic from, done by Gemini Customs... top strap and frame milled to fit a S&W J-Frame adjustable rear sight, which requires a taller front sight blade.

SP101 with S&W rear sight (2).jpg

SP101 with S&W rear sight - top (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I have one, and like it a lot. it is my go-to snub nose revolver. The drop out action design is particularly clever. Very high quality and precision.

Mine came from my local gun store as a used but almost brand new pistol. It had some trigger work and enhanced sights installed at the time.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Bill, IMHO, I would not bother to buy a Ruger, when you can easily afford to buy a S&W. You just need to be patient.....one will come along. I sold my M-17-4 .22 S&W because I couldn't handle the weight, due to my injured shoulders. That's the only reason I bought a Ruger SR22. It's much lighter, and easier for me to handle. However, I do like it very much. It was the best move I could have made. I am currently considering a small, light 9mm. Ruger (again) for my carry gun. Bob

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I will pick up a Willy Clapp version at my LGS this week. It has been shipped to them.

I like the rugged design and may get a Galco Combat Master or similar holster for EDC here in Texas.

I have always been somewhat concerned about the the performance of my 9mm’s vs a 357 Magnum. I also have a S&W Model 60 Pro. Both can have a role in EDC here.

However the SP101 may see a lot of use with one or two snake shot shells . I shot a 4’ rattlesnake next to the house recently.

I live next to a state highway. There are plenty of two legged snakes on the highway too near the ranch.

I plan to carry two reloads in the event of trouble. It can happen in a rural county.

Killeen, TX is not far and there is a shooting their almost daily.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I have been carrying a Ruger Speed-Six for ten years or so, strong-side OWB. Like gunhacker, it’s my go-to for carry, rugged and heavy enough so that full bore .357 loads aren’t punishing. I had an armorer put a “carry” trigger job on it. Smoothed it up but not lighten it to much. The custom finger-groove stocks were on it when I bought it from fellow in California years ago. Don’t know the stock maker, but he signed them on the inside in gold paint. Does that ring a bell for anyone? D963B0DD-6A9B-4C13-AEE7-EA392C5D4E70.jpeg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts