Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
At almost 13lbs it is the same weight as my 1874 Sharps ins 45/90...

Let me tell you that there is no reason in the world for a .308 field gun to weigh that much. 1/2" MOA is a wonderfull thing. Carrying a M1 Abram's tank into the field is another :mrgreen: At least with the Abrams', close is good enough. :mrgreen:

Seriously, this is not a bench rest gun, it appears to be a Sniper platform. What in the heck is that gun good for in the civilian market? For that matter, the LEO or Military market. I notice the 3-3 3/4 lb trigger pull and they say it is adjustable. Wonder how low it will go and still make their lawyers happy. Sorry, but I don't see this $3K gun setting the world afire in the market.

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Maybe a goofy name, but it sounds like someone in Design did their homework..... Integral Bases, Fiber Alloy Stock, Bedding Blocks (although I didn't see any mention of Pillars...), Detachable Box Mags, Tang Mounted Safety, Bolt Lock, several Rates of Twist to choose from.

The only thing I would have done differently is not compromised on the barrel length.... Looks like T/C picked 22"...... that length is a Monkey-In-The Middle..... I would have allowed 20", 22" and 24" at a minimum.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll allow that anyone that can't live without one should have one.... :mrgreen:

Guess I never have had the chance to figure one out. Here in Maine, a clear 50 yard shot is a good thang! Damn, carrying that beast up and down hill and dale, makes no sense. It's just to damn heavy. It's basically a great gun for what it's designed to do, team play. Set-up, with a spotter....and change the course of somebody's history. ;)

Not for me, and I consider myself a precision shooter. Thinkin' I'd spend the 3K on something more practical and lightweight. Prolly get the same results... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
"Here in Maine, a clear 50 yard shot is a good thang! Damn, carrying that beast up and down hill and dale, makes no sense. It's just to damn heavy......"
Well Giz ....... that's what Grandsons are for. ;)

Now if we both lived in the far north of Maine it would make a great Potato Field & Blueberry Barren Rifle..... :D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm with Giz on this one. I can't see any practical use for it. Might be nice to have, but that's about it. If they were to scale it up and offer it in .50 BMG, I might find that useful for gophers and such. They're about the size of bison in Texas. You sure as Hell don't want to fall down a gopher hole in these parts.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think the over wieght military looking thing is desighned for civilians who want to play sniper.I personaly could not come up with any useful purpose for it.
But some little kid dumb enough to waste money on it will also buy all kinds of extra gadjets to add on it bringing it up even more in weight. Then get on there little uniforms they got at the surplus store and go out where a lot of people can see them to shoot it.
The exact same type who buys a nice four wheel drive and jacks it up in the air and adds huge tires on it and drives through some mud for five minutes so they can drive around town with a muddy truck.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Hey Giz, You wouldn't have to carry an M1 Abrams Tank........you could ride in it!!!! :lol: Lots of people like to have the Military type rifles, I guess. Seems like quite a sniper rifle for those potato fields in Maine. :D Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts