·
Registered
10,135 Posts
Weather is hot enough, I'm switching to the 342,

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've carried a S&W J-Frame, 638, daily since 2014. Well that's now been retired.

Had a run-in with a probable meth-head yesterday (see my thread on "Road Rager" in Lounge Forum).

It seems that meth use is exploding in my AO....so....decided to make a change.

I know bigger is better when dealing with someone that can't feel anything and I doubt my ability to place a double action headshot with a revolver, so it's back to the Kahr .45.
So ... ? You shot him 5 times and he zombied away?

I am definitely not following here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You guys with your 45acp. The 9mm will blow a lung clear out of the body. It's going a bit far to blow someone clean in half by using a 45. Sure, that's fine if you are on the street, but that would be a heck of a mess to clean up after a home invasion. ;)
There is actually a solution to not being blown in half in a home invasion...don't home invade. Oh...and tile floors are your friend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very cool discussion. Sounds like I am not the only one that carries a variety depending on situation and/or location/event. Winter time I love carrying my Model 29 - Glock that is (I have several real 29's :ROFLMAO: including an Alaskan Backpacker that could be carried, but is a wee bit heavy). Others depending on the situation that get carried a good bit M&P 340, 329 - magna-ported and wearing a 460's grip, G43 Glock, Uberti 38+p Derringer, High Std 22 mag derringer (mtn biking rattlesnake gun), 1st Model 59 Blue, 10mm American Derringer, and lastly a G20 Tupperware 10 or Springfield XDM Elite 10mm Tac as hunting backups (the 340 and 329 do a little of this duty too).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So ... ? You shot him 5 times and he zombied away?

I am definitely not following here.
Assuming all five shots are hits.

J-frame is a very slow reload.

.38 Special against meth'ed up attacker? Nah. I'll take .45 ACP for that.

This guy was likely a meth-head. He might not notice the 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense. He probably would have noticed 230 grain Speer Gold Dot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Assuming all five shots are hits.

J-frame is a very slow reload.

.38 Special against meth'ed up attacker? Nah. I'll take .45 ACP for that.

This guy was likely a meth-head. He might not notice the 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense. He probably would have noticed 230 grain Speer Gold Dot.
He'd notice 158 and 180grs out of my Lil 340 j frame 357 and with a little practice I can get speed loaders in it pretty quickly. And you'd be surprised what a #4 shot shell 38 would do to the eyes and face. Even makes a bear/mtn lion rethink their plans:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one I bought brand new wouldn't work right out of the box. Total firing mechanism lock-up. :oops: I tried to fix it with lube, but it had to go back to S&W CS. They fixed it (replaced many parts), but it was returned to me looking like a beat-up used gun. It must have taken a lot of trial & error experimentation to get it to work. Never trusted it after that and eventually dumped it at a significant loss. Never again a lightweight J-frame for me. :(
Bummer, my J frames have all been great.

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
J? too big. Need an I frame. 38 S&W is enough with good shot placement- 45 acp isn't with bad shot placement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carried a walther P5 for 25 years. In the summer a S&W 640. I perferred the P5 bc of the left side extraxtion, no safety and DA/SA. Also if there were a jam, for a right hander, a simple 90* rotation left your left hand pulls the slide back bullet drops problem gone.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts