Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've carried a S&W J-Frame, 638, daily since 2014. Well that's now been retired.

Had a run-in with a probable meth-head yesterday (see my thread on "Road Rager" in Lounge Forum).

It seems that meth use is exploding in my AO....so....decided to make a change.

I know bigger is better when dealing with someone that can't feel anything and I doubt my ability to place a double action headshot with a revolver, so it's back to the Kahr .45.

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
As I said in that ither thread - carry the one you shoot the best, regardkess of caliber. Whatever gun you can use to put a CNS shot on target is the one to carry

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
I have also carried a J frame, 638 since 2014. Small town, nothing ever happens. I read of your encounter and if in your situation I too would switch to something with more capacity and power. In my case it would be my 9mm Shield, which I carried from 2012 until I got the 638. I still carry it if I go to the city and practice with it frequently

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
I have also carried a J frame, 638 since 2014. Small town, nothing ever happens. I read of your encounter and if in your situation I too would switch to something with more capacity and power. In my case it would be my 9mm Shield, which I carried from 2012 until I got the 638. I still carry it if I go to the city and practice with it frequently
For ME it is a non-S&W pistol, it is a SIG P365

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I usually carry a model 37-2, it is easy to hide and shoots well. I Carry a others depending where I go, and usually have something extra in the car. When I was working I had a breifcase with at least a 9mm auto (much ashamed, a ruger SR9). But have carried a PARA .45 when it seemed necessary, also carry a 686 when in the woods, and even have carried an ice pick when in the big city (old trick from a truck driver who worked in Philadelphia). When we had some trouble in town I have been know to put an AR in the trunk as a back up.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
As I said in that ither thread - carry the one you shoot the best, regardkess of caliber. Whatever gun you can use to put a CNS shot on target is the one to carry
That would be the 460V. Kinda lot for everyday carry and it would print like crazy in the summer. ;)

But definitely a one shot stopper

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I have a friend that carried a Desert Eagle in .50 Action Express. He said the mere sight of the weapon caused most aggressors to stop in their tracks.

He's a big guy and in a shoulder holster, it didn't print at all.
In the winter, no worries, but I'm not wearing a coat in 90 degree weather.

Just requalified with the RAMI so I guess that's good enough- and it fits in my pocket!

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
I have a S&W Model 442 since they came out years ago. I'm on my 4th one, (pre-lock, of course). I will always carry it, even if I carry another gun. Always carry it.
The one I bought brand new wouldn't work right out of the box. Total firing mechanism lock-up. :oops: I tried to fix it with lube, but it had to go back to S&W CS. They fixed it (replaced many parts), but it was returned to me looking like a beat-up used gun. It must have taken a lot of trial & error experimentation to get it to work. Never trusted it after that and eventually dumped it at a significant loss. Never again a lightweight J-frame for me. :(

·
Registered
561 Posts
Very timely thread. For Many many years I carried a 5 shot revolver. The last one has been my S&W 642. I have to admit however...a few years back, I went with a Kahr CM9 with a few modest modifications. As my eyes have aged, AND...given the level of craziness we're witnessing in America these days I (very) recently picked up a Sig P365X w/ a red dot. There are some training issues to be mastered when transitioning to a red dot for EDC, but it's going well.
My 642 has a Crimson Trace laser grip on it. It is clipped to my bed frame for use if I don't have time to get out of bed. Once I put my feet on the deck...there's a 12 ga. readily at hand.

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
Very timely thread. For Many many years I carried a 5 shot revolver. The last one has been my S&W 642. I have to admit however...a few years back, I went with a Kahr CM9 with a few modest modifications. As my eyes have aged, AND...given the level of craziness we're witnessing in America these days I (very) recently picked up a Sig P365X w/ a red dot. There are some training issues to be mastered when transitioning to a red dot for EDC, but it's going well.
My 642 has a Crimson Trace laser grip on it. It is clipped to my bed frame for use if I don't have time to get out of bed. Once I put my feet on the deck...there's a 12 ga. readily at hand.
I recently bought the XL with red dot and I agree, there is a learning curve. Still have my P365 for EDC (as does my wife). Local LEO who owns the gun store too said they were trained to bring the gun up to their face close first, then extend their arms out for the shot so they acquire the dot quickly. besides the 12 gauge, there is the Ruger 9mmPCC with 32 round Glock magazine (and a red dot)

Reactions: Victor N TN
1 - 20 of 45 Posts