Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Sometimes I really miss working...

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Thewelshm 
#1 ·
Not when I was in management, but for the 17+ years before when I drove a 4WD truck to remote mountain areas to fix electronic communications issues. 120+ degree weather and -20 degree weather (due to a wind chill), Arizona has it all. Tire chains, snow cats, snow mobiles and even snow shoes, I did them all in the cold weather, but being born in Yuma AZ, I handled the heat better than most of my compatriots, yet it was no walk in the park, believe me. I have many pictures of the beautiful country I was blessed to see and travel through, all the while being paid for it, but I'll offer this sample for now. Full disclosure: The picture of the truck that didn't successfully navigate the rugged desert mountain terrain was not me or anyone from my company! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
As a ham radio operator, I've done tower work... Getting to the job is half the fun. Sometimes, the tower sites themselves can be quite risky as well.

In New York, on Mount Beacon (across from Newburgh), I've been 70 feet up the tower in the heat of the summer doing antenna work. At least (from the 100 miles away) I had a good view of Manhattan...

I don't climb towers any more, and sold the 4 wheel drive "Scout" a long time ago. Your pictures brought back memories.

We all need to give a thought to the people that work on infrastructure. These pictures are of the replacement of our transmission antenna at the PBS station I worked for in NC. The antenna itself is the length of a semi-trailer truck... (And yes... there were local idjuts that shot at our nitrogen pressured transmission feed line)...

The antennas are mounted on a 1,100 foot tower on top of a 900 foot elevation.

#6 ·
I hear you. When I sold my company the new owner, and friend, insisted that I stay on for certain operations. While I have trained folks to replace me, I still work about 300 hours a year. While that time happens in roughly a 6 week time frame, I still love it. Best part is that now I just get to do the parts of the job I enjoyed the most. So today while he is stuck in the office doing paperwork, I'm sitting in a condo overlooking the entrance to Grays Harbor, WA and watching the Whales play.

Joe

#12 ·
Best part is that now I just get to do the parts of the job I enjoyed the most.

Joe
I've seen the parts Joe likes and it's more the cab of a heavy equipment paint striper (for major highways and aircraft runways) and it's got more luxuries than a tricked out caddie.

Reactions: Striper
#14 ·
I will work till I die, I love it.... Tried retirement for 4 months, its hard work...:) at 57 a new American, and this country,I got a lot to do, unless Joe messes it up?

thewelshm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.