Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This shut in thing ain't stopping this old man from putterin' around in the tool shed....

Got this 629 off of GB here some time back.

What I really need is a stainless summer time sidearm for EDC.

So, I jest got to thinking.....Maybe jest maybe....

And now I's got one. A 3 1/2 incher that works with my EDC rig.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
3-1/2" BEAUTY!

This shut in thing ain't stopping this old man from putterin' around in the tool shed....

Got this 629 off of GB here some time back.

What I really need is a stainless summer time sidearm for EDC.

So, I jest got to thinking.....Maybe jest maybe....

And now I's got one. A 3 1/2 incher that works with my EDC rig.

Hey 44,

You are now set!

The "Carry Gun" class at the ARMOR EXPRESS PIN SHOOT requires a 3-1/2" barrel with six shot maximum. No reload!

That is a fine, fine .44!

Had my Nephew turn a 4" 625 into a 3-1/2" 625. Just for that event. Hope to get there next June? (Lord Willing)

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Nice looking guns. Now, a couple of questions: 1) why did you remove the hammer spur; and 2) where did you acquire the gold-bead sight? Thx.
Hey Doc,

1) With a trigger stop installed the hammer can not be pulled back for SA any way. The lighter hammer also hits the primer "harder" as it travels faster. And, as high a grip that I use, the web of my hand can get caught under the spur.

2) The "McGivern Bead" came on that revolver.

See if we have a vid...

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Something about barrels.Don't know what it is about Dave, he's just gotta make'm better..

Here's an old Outdoorsman that he shortened up to 5 inches.

and a new 5" Argentine barrel shortened to 31/2" to replace a bulged barrel on a real old timer.

Then there's the old Model of 1950 with a 5" barrel that will shoot 45ACP or 45 Colt.

Am I a sucker for Dave's guns or his leather doin's?

I'll let you decide.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey Iggy,

EEEE ZZZZZZZZ!!

The answer to the question is:

YES! :D

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Mark,
Well I will say I've got lots of good company up here in Wyoming. Every time Dave wanders up here he leaves one or two guns or rigs with somebody here.

There's a bunch of his handiwork in the SE corner of this state.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey Iggy,

That is FANTASTIC!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice looking guns. Now, a couple of questions: 1) why did you remove the hammer spur; and 2) where did you acquire the gold-bead sight? Thx.
Hey Doc,

1) With a trigger stop installed the hammer can not be pulled back for SA any way. The lighter hammer also hits the primer "harder" as it travels faster. And, as high a grip that I use, the web of my hand can get caught under the spur.

2) The "McGivern Bead" came on that revolver.

Later, Mark
I was going to say "for the same reason the British removed the hammer spur from their SA/DA Enfield Pistol No 2 Mk 1 to create the DAO Enfield Pistol No 2 Mk 1* and Mk 1** - to reduce the tendency of the hammer spur to catch on obstructions".

In their case, when entering or exiting vehicles (tanks and other battlefield vehicles tend to be cramped and a touch difficult to get into & out of), and in the case of a "concealed carry/emergency defense carry" weapon, to reduce the chance of the hammer catching on clothing etc when drawing it under stress.

Your explanation of the trigger stop makes even more sense.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow!!!. I’ve watched that video of yours over, and over, and over . . . I can’t believe how fast you ran that gun. I tried to do that dry-firing my 460V – ain’t happening. I tried to do that dry-firing my 4” 686 – better, but still ain’t happening. I like the DA (8#), and especially the SA (2#), pull on the 686. The DA pull on the 460V’s rather heavy (almost 10#), and the SA pull’s very light, almost too light (1½#). I’ve taken both of them to 3 different gun stores, and each said that that’s normal for the 460V (???), and the 686 (OK . . .). As my health’s “semi-compromised” at the present, I’m in no rush. And, since the closest gun store/gun range is shuttered, I’m really in no rush. When I’m able (most likely soon), I’m going to have to decide what to do about that crazy ultra-heavy Da/ultra-light SA pull on the “hand-cannon”. Warmest regards to you . . .

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow!!!. I’ve watched that video of yours over, and over, and over . . . I can’t believe how fast you ran that gun. I tried to do that dry-firing my 460V – ain’t happening. I tried to do that dry-firing my 4” 686 – better, but still ain’t happening. I like the DA (8#), and especially the SA (2#), pull on the 686. The DA pull on the 460V’s rather heavy (almost 10#), and the SA pull’s very light, almost too light (1½#). I’ve taken both of them to 3 different gun stores, and each said that that’s normal for the 460V (???), and the 686 (OK . . .). As my health’s “semi-compromised” at the present, I’m in no rush. And, since the closest gun store/gun range is shuttered, I’m really in no rush. When I’m able (most likely soon), I’m going to have to decide what to do about that crazy ultra-heavy Da/ultra-light SA pull on the “hand-cannon”. Warmest regards to you . . .
I watched Mark's (msharley) video as well....Purty fast !!!

Dave

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey Doc,

Thank you for the kind words.

I get the health thing. In between the "red hot needles" (of arthritis) in the knees & knuckles...and the wonderful "lightning jolts" (cholesterol meds) in the "of a sudden LEG CRAMP" department. :D Oh! How could I ferget....the blame "FUZZY SIGHTS"! :D

The "really fast" guys, Jerry M., Dave O., Josh L., Al G., Mike S., Mark B.... are a whole "level" past where I shoot.

Am not much slower with a "speed loader" gun. (the 625's use full moon clips, the K 38's use speed loaders) What I don't like about the "speed loader" gun ....... is sometimes I am not "careful" and will "catch" a spent case under the "star"...really hard on one's TIME in a TIMED event.:D

I will share four basic tenets of shooting FAST & ACCURATELY.

#1. STANCE. Feet shoulder width apart. "Square" to the target(s). Balance "forward" on balls of feet. Close eyes. Bring up hands in shooting type grip with strong side thumb "up". Open eyes. One should see one's thumb in front of target. If not, adjust FEET! Not body.

#2. GRIP. FIRM handshake grip w/strong hand. "Crush Grip" with weak hand. Grip as HIGH as POSSIBLE to mitigate recoil. Higher grip, less muzzle flip.

#3. FOCUS. Keep eyes OPEN! (wear plugs & muffs if need be). One should clearly see the (dang blamed FUZZY) FRONT SIGHT!

#4. PACE. When the hammer falls...DO NOT HANG AROUND "STUDYING" THE FOOL TARGET! Immediately start engaging the trigger! As the cylinder is indexed, one should be on the "next" target....Do not shoot (yank the bang switch) faster than YOU can see the (fuzzy) FRONT SIGHT.

(its a conspiracy....all the new guns got them "newfangled" REAL FUZZY SIGHTS! :D Remember when the sights & target used to be ever so "crisp"?):D

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey Doc,

The PSA SHOOTOUT is the biggest Steel Match in the country. Over 700 competitors last year! :D

Here is a link to the Stock Revolver Results from last year. I am #15. http://www.psashootout.com/results/2019SR.pdf

I am #122 in Stock Auto. http://www.psashootout.com/results/2019SA.pdf

Sadly, they canceled the PSA this year, due to the CGW #19.:(

In '17, I won a revolver at the ARMOR EXPRESS PIN SHOOT(formerly the SECOND CHANCE PIN SHOOT) shooting "8 PIN". (I was #4) Using a SIX SHOT DA REVOLVER, one engages 8 BOWLING PINS.

If I can find the old thread, I will send you a link. :D

I would have won another gun, if I would have had a 3-1/2" gun for the "Carry Gun Class"... The man who won (Richard H. an excellent shooter) only cleared ONE of three tables.;) Which is why I had my Nephew chop a 4" 625 down to 3-1/2". I intend to go next year and WIN! :D

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 63 Posts