Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something to Ponder… The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. I have needed a Doctor, I have Needed a Soldier. I have Needed a Policeman. I have needed a Fireman. I have Needed a Teacher. I have needed a Mechanic. But I have never needed a media personality or a Hollywood entertainer for anything!

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
There was a time , and not that long ago, where the star athlete was admired, looked up to and often imitated by kids because they represented something good. (All those Wheaties boxes can attest to that). The blame lies with Goodell for not shutting Copperdick down immediately allowing this to fester and grow; and now it includes even hockey where blacks are not even a factor.................
I stopped watching most pro sports (except for my Euro soccer) a long time ago, although I didn't mind a baseball game now and then. Same for movies, current primetime TV shows (although I do record the "Chicago" series by Dick Wolf and binge watch so I can eliminate the commercials - especially the political and ASPCA. Haven't been to a movie theater in 25 years, too loud, too many jackasses and rude folks, and now too many talking on their phones.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
The professional sports leagues are corrupt. Too much money. Too much attention. Like a spoiled child, they have been raised for failure.

Yet, in every imperial, royal and tyrannical court in almost every human society from China, to Europe to native indigenous people, there have been mysterious entertainers... some acting as jesters and comedians - and some as magicians and necromancers. In most cases, a tragic figure.

Like the royal whipping boy (intended to spare the misbehaving king of physical abuse, while supposed making guilt the gift that keeps on giving) these people have kept their entertainers around.

I'm not sure we should dismiss the entertainers so quickly. They have their uses. Are they important? Perhaps... perhaps not. When they are smart enough, and clever enough, and creative enough you soon have an emperor that has no clothes....

But... should we take their contributions to life seriously, especially in areas where they have no skill or responsibility? I think that tragedy is just characteristic of a modern age with too much information and too little skepticism.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
In a way, the Covid Pandemic has relieved us (sports fans) of the anti American stance of 'taking a knee', something I find totally against the patriotism of the country and why I do not watch professional sports and certainly would not support them by attending.

It seems the only sport to escape the 'knee' thing is auto racing but even that was tainted by the removal of the Confederate Flag because of a crybaby driver. That flag had absolutely no bearing on the venue until he started whining.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Something to Ponder… The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. I have needed a Doctor, I have Needed a Soldier. I have Needed a Policeman. I have needed a Fireman. I have Needed a Teacher. I have needed a Mechanic. But I have never needed a media personality or a Hollywood entertainer for anything!
True that.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
I could give a rats behind about what the clowns in Hollyweird and in sports think. They are paid to entertain and that's it! We are not interested in an opinion given by those who live in a bubble and have no clue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts