Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I meant, when did they do away with the blued ramp & sight blade on nickel guns? All of the dash 2's I have seen have a nickel plated ramp and front sight
:)Okay.

On early nickel 27-2s the ramp and base were both still blued. The top gun in post 12 above is a 27-2 that shipped in April 1968. At one time I probably knew when the nickel process changed to include the front base, but I do not recall off hand at this time... Probably late 1960's or very early 1970s.

·
Registered
469 Posts
:)Okay.

On early nickel 27-2s the ramp and base were both still blued. The top gun in post 12 above is a 27-2 that shipped in April 1968. At one time I probably knew when the nickel process changed to include the front base, but I do not recall off hand at this time... Probably late 1960's or very early 1970s.
As an extension of this thought, I wonder if there is a reference somewhere that has accumulated all these small changes in how S&W built these guns, back when they weren't CNC cookie-cuttered and MIM-parted, and a file and fine stone were still part of the assembly tools.

Most S&W fans know things like when P&R went away, or a certain barrel length was D/C'd, but I'd love to have a reference for these little things, like when the lazy ampersand changed to the newer one, or when did the blued sight ramp go nickeled on nickel guns, when the pins were flush and when they were proud. I know they varied from model to model, but all within the space of a year or so once each change started.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Are the proud pins only found on N frames? I don't recall seeing any on other frame sizes
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

I have seen pre -mod 18's both ways. This one is just the way it left Smith, right down to the numbered grips. So there were some K-frame's with the proud front sight pins. To make matters more confusing I've seen other pre -mod 18's that shipped in 1952 (as did this one) that didn't have the proud pins.

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I know this has been discussed among collectors but I'm not sure a reason was ever uncovered. It likely is attributable to variations in the manufacturing process where sights were fixed to the barrel before finishing vs. being affixed after finishing. S&W was known for changing the way it built these guns. As a major example, look how many times they moved the gas ring between the yoke and cylinder.
I was thinking about this. On a blued gun, the sights could be installed before or after finishing since everything is blued. On the nickel guns with a blued ramp & front sight blade, the blued parts would have to be installed after the rest was nickel plated. RK Mesa said, that post war all the nickel revolvers had proud pins since they were installed after the finish. On the blued ones it may have come down to something as simple as whether or not they had blued ones ready ahead of time and if not, they put them on the gun, polished the pins and then blued the whole works

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks like mrerick has/had a pre-mod 18 22LR and Blackcloud2 has his dads K-frame 38 both four inch barrel guns with proud pins.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know this has been discussed among collectors but I'm not sure a reason was ever uncovered. It likely is attributable to variations in the manufacturing process where sights were fixed to the barrel before finishing vs. being affixed after finishing. S&W was known for changing the way it built these guns. As a major example, look how many times they moved the gas ring between the yoke and cylinder.
I think your answer has the most merit of any others on this post. It makes perfect sense when the sight was added to the gun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Back in July I got this 3.5” model 27 no dash, shipped in 1960 accord to the SCSW.
View attachment 570828
As you can see, the pair of pins holding the front sight ramp on were left proud as was somewhat common on these revolvers back then.
View attachment 570829

I used to think that this was common practice back then, but now I am not so sure. I spent a few months looking at model 27’s on Gunbroker. The pins were polished flat on all the 27-2’s and later. On the pre model 27’s through 27-1 something like maybe 40% have the pins left proud, the rest are polished flat.
Does anyone know why the pins would be done one way or the other? Does anyone know why both styles are found? Was this done on any other models?
It seems to me it was much more common on Registered Magnums and their descendants up until 1950 or so.
My guess is that either certain factory gunsmiths did it that way or that some production runs were done that way, some weren’t. Probably both my guesses are wrong.
I like the looks of the revolvers with the proud sight ramp pins and I associate them with the older revolvers that were still hand fitted & assembled by a highly skilled craftsman.
27-2 No pins, barrel pin left round.

Revolver Trigger Jigsaw puzzle Gun barrel Thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,788 Posts
That Pre-18 may be the nicest I have. I got started with S&W revolvers with a 586 pinto.

Those engraved pinto revolvers are remarkable works of art. I'm not normally partial to engraved firearms, but those are quite attractive, and special. Thank you for sharing them.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts