Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off a vehicle at my local mechanic's shop today and this beauty was sitting out front! Besides fixing modern cars, he's sought out by collector car owners because of his knowledge and reputation. This one though, I believe belongs to one of the mechanics. No matter, it was a pleasure to look at, inside and out!

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Closest I ever came to a 'Woody' was a 1949 Willys Overland (the predecessor to the Suburban). Flat head 4 cylinder with 3 on the tree and dashboard overdrive and capable of going anywhere so long as your guts could survive the ride.

Top speed was about 45 in 4wd and 50 with the front hubs unlocked.

We used to tale it to the drive in and backed in, opened the rear split tailgate and took in the movie. Put a small couch in the back to sit on, well spark on anyway... Those were the days.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
The Willys cj3a was made into 1952. In 1952 the M38A1 (military) was introduce, first year for the rounded fenders and F head engine. 1953 went to the cj3b for civilians. I didn't care for the seat belt receiver sticking up like that but it's me, don't make me right.
I stick with civilian cj2 and cj3a (cj standing for civilian jeep).
Currently bringing back a 1950 cj3a we found in Colorado.
On a side note, driving old woodies is not for the faint of heart. Top heavy is the least of the issues. Seat belts "should be installed in all vehicles".
This '50 will have them as well.
If any information I wrote is incorrect, please correct me.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
SidecarFlip (gawd I love that handle). I too had a '49 Willys Overland wagon then another '51. Drove the things all over Southern California in mid to late 60's. Surfboards hanging out the back, sunburned all the time, getting D's and F's in school, yep, those were the days.

Reactions: Rule3

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Very nice. It's about impossible to find an old Jeep in Pennsylvania with any steel left in the body.
Or Michigan, Ohio, Indiana or any state with snow and road salt.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
SidecarFlip (gawd I love that handle). I too had a '49 Willys Overland wagon then another '51. Drove the things all over Southern California in mid to late 60's. Surfboards hanging out the back, sunburned all the time, getting D's and F's in school, yep, those were the days.
It's me. I have a sidecar on one of my Triumph's and my nickname is Flip. Was my Grandad's legal first name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts