Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few knife sheaths that just left. I figure the other leather workers here might post some of their own work. I dont take orders anymore but still do stuff for people I have worked with or friends .. mostly I just like doing leather work and have been doing it since I am about 16 and it makes a few bucks for ammo now and again.

The little sheath was a first time design for me ..I think I need one for myself!! and .. I discovered that Western Bowie is pretty sweet

DSCF1034sm.JPG

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice looking work Boriqua. I like what you did with the Bowie.
Thank you !! I hand stitch it all on a home made stitching pony and since he told me this was going to be his camping, hiking rig I did a heavy wax treatment instead of acrylic. Makes it nice and water resistant and he can repair any scratches he might get from use. He was happy when I sent him home with a tin of my not so secret, secret wax!! :)

Takes over an hour to do the wax and hardly anyone wants it because they dont want to maintain it but I think its such a nice glowing finish.

DSCF1041sm.JPG

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice work, indeed! Too bad you are no longer taking orders. You would be kept busy just from those examples alone.
Well that was actually the issue. I have been making leather stuff for some 40 years as a hobby but when I decided to get off the rat race I couldnt just sit around so I started selling leather stuff. Got a website, did some promotion and it was great .. Made a few bucks to pay a few bills and I really liked doing it but I became TOOO popular and suddenly I had 3 month backlogs and it started to feel like real work. I loved my career but worked insane hours with few days off so I certainly didn't want to get into that again and didnt like having peoples deposit money that long..

I realized .. I dont know how to do any damn thing casually!! The jobs werent insane.. I am!

So I have started pin striping and getting back to some of my artsy stuff ... and I am trying to monitor my behavior. Still it kills me when guys contact me for leather stuff and I have to say no. I take a few jobs if they sound interesting.

I did a boat load of holsters but not to many sheaths and I have known this gentleman for years. He also said the golden words ... I am in no rush finish it when you finish it!!

Alex

·
Registered
685 Posts
Beautiful work. I understand about doing such a good job that everyone and their little yellow dog wants what you make, and how it becomes a real burden. Some few holster makers post lead time on their web sites and people who place orders know that they will wait up to 3 months for the finished product. That seems to work for those folks.

·
Registered
20,414 Posts
Those are some nice examples of some fine work! Any examples of holsters you made?:cool:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have come to like it here so I dont want to get in trouble with admin so I have to repeat that

I am not soliciting business and am no longer accepting orders

I am however proud of some of the stuff I made and if anyone is interested I have a small sampling of my work at

My gallery

I am keeping the website up and I will in the future make leather stuff and put it up on my etsy page but I am also going to use the site for some of my painting stuff and jewelry design.

I have two brothers and the one just under me affectionately refers to me as "the art fag!!" :eek:

I still enjoy doing leather work but I would rather make things of my own design at my own pace and hope someone comes along and likes it enough to buy it.

Like I said in a previous post .. if anyone wants to try their hand at making their own stuff and has questions I would be more than happy to offer whatever knowledge I might have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts