Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I went to indoor range to get the M629-4 MH PC gun, before I left I sent this target down range to 21' and whipped out from under shirt, my M&P 40c and emptied the mag with 10, timed one second shots. I was using WWB FMJ 165 or 180, not sure. Maybe that is why they are a little low for most part, could have been opposite from last time. I need more aim shooting time yet. And settle on one type round. I've been buying the new WinClean BEB 180 gr. I like them.

It was a lot of fun anyway to end the revolver sight-in with some quick pistol shootin'.

Dave

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Looks like you've got SD pistol shooting down pretty good!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
593 Posts
Are you really carrying your defensive handgun loaded with FMJ???

I could maybe see that in 9 mm Makarov or .380 Auto, but 9 mm Luger or .40 S&W? NFW.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jose, good point.

I did that day since I was headed straight to the range. I have a couple boxes of 165 and 180 I got when I got the gun and took the CPL class I need to use some up. Normally loaded with Win SilvertipHPs, too costly to shoot at range. :mrgreen:
I have a lot of WinCleans too.

I got it his year so I haven't tried too may different rounds.

What do you carry, like or recommend?

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm a fan of 9 mm Luger for auto pistols and of heavy-for-caliber bullets for all.

My M&Ps (full size and compact) and 915 run with either Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot 147 grain jacketed hollow points.

My practice/match ammo for them is a Missouri Bullet 147 grain RNFP over 4.2 grains of Unique for 940 fps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jose,

I would think the 40 cal 155 gr Win STHPs compare to the Rangers and the Speer GD, what do ya think?

The SilverTips are more available around here, other than the FMJs and WinCleans which are cheap enough for the range.

I haven' done any reloading myself. So basically I have these choices most of the time.

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know much about Silvertips, though I do not think the bullet is the exact same used in the Ranger line.

In all reality, all handgun cartridges (outside of Magnums) mostly suck despite the .45 ACP fans' claims. So shoot repeatedly to the parts of the body most likely to cause aggression to stop until agression does stop.

Which bullet or caliber is used is of a lesser importance.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jose!

I'm mostly a hunter so I haven't done a lot of research on SD rounds.

I checked out the Ranger ammo... Check this link out. Nice chart.

There's 4 pull down selections, I selected the 4 40 cal Rangers, 1 in each, there are 2 165s and 2 180s.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcemen ... flash.html

This is what we really are talking about, is good penetration with good expansion and good energy transfer for selfdefense.

I haven't seen a chart like this for the Silvertips, but I doubt the 155 gr rounds would have the penetration value of the 180 gr Rangers, while expansion similar. I wondered about the auto glass penetration situation and I think Rangers would perform well while still handling the other requirements. Of course FMJs would be better for auto glass, but not good due to pass through on attacker.

Thanks for the heads up on the Rangers! I think I saw some the other day in a new gun shop. I check them out.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts