Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is a long story and I won't go into details, but these two guns had their barrels placed on a vise and smashed closed with a hammer. :evil:

The pre-Model 36 was supposed to go to my brother and the pre-model 10 to me. Both of them were purchased in 1954.

I know it would be hard to tell without seeing them, but do you think replacement barrels could be found and these old beauties repaired by a novice?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you take the time to surf gun broker and guns america in there parts and accesories sections and e-bay you will find barrels for them.Maybe not the first time you search but they come up for sale or bid a lot in those sites.Do it your self Barrel change would be a subject 500 magnum could answer for you.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sounds like a vindictive family member didnt want you and your brother to get the guns.You sure they didnt spring the frames?Since gun prices have been goin up lately it might be worth buying a couple barrels and finding a good gun smith to install them. Especialy if the guns belonged to a loved one like your dad or something. Might be still cost you less than you could buy guns like them for.
Having to much time on my hands and surfing the gun sites I have noticed the prices going up a lot in the last few months and especialy on the model 36 and being a pre 36 makes it even more valuable.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
onenut, they are not in our family, they belong to my brother's friends Dad. I have no idea what they look like now. I am hoping to get them down the road if the Dad will part with them.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I see but still would be worth looking into for sure.But dont it just chap your heiney to know some one would destroy the barrels of a couple nice old guns like that.
I forgot about numericks and Bobs gun parts might have barrels to.I looked in hoosier gun works and they have a couple model ten tapered barrels in 4 inch for 25 bucks a piece. There is a parkerized victory barrel I think in five inch for the same price

·
Registered
753 Posts
With some hunting, I think you could find replacement barrels. The barrels most likely will need to be fit to the frame/cylinder so this is not a home job, unless you have the tools and fixtures to cut a barrel back trim the forcing cone etc.
If you find the barrels, then check around locally at gun shops, there might be a smith that can do it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts