Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad had these and said they were tear gas rounds, he got them from another agency during the UFW-Caesar Chavez demonstrations in my home town in the mid-70's. My dad was the Chief of Police then, so it fell to him to call the shots on how to handle the very large groups of protesters and vandals during those weeks, however there was County and State support there for him and his small department. Probably 10 years back I posted pictures of these cartridges and there were many responses, but nothing really confirmed one way or the other that I remember as to what they might really be. I'm not going to fire one off in case they are tear gas! The year is now 2020, anyone want to venture a guess in current times? :)

cartduo.jpg cartgroup.jpg TG round.JPG

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Look like shot cartridges with a shot overcard.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
looks like something Jonesy reloaded mate...:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
I would venture a guess that if the tear gas story true then would be degraded to who knows what. I would guess they were a type of cork that would be like a rubber Dumdum. The cork would seem to still hurt but maybe less damaging than rubber.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would venture a guess that if the tear gas story true then would be degraded to who knows what. I would guess they were a type of cork that would be like a rubber Dumdum. The cork would seem to still hurt but maybe less damaging than rubber.
You know what, this is the time of year when doing things in the garage isn't a 'near death' experience due to the heat, something you realize, I might just pull one apart and see for sure what it is! If I do, I'll take pictures along the way and we can all find out together! :)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
In WWII there were both mini flares and shotshells loaded for .38 (Navy survival). WRA headstamps lead me in that direction. Someone ought to be able to put an end date on WRA?

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Shot shells with cardboard or compressed paper were used back in the day for riot control. The technique was to shoot low into pavement letting the shot scatter into the shins of an approaching mob. If one bounces high and finds an eye, well stuff happens.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, looks like the mystery is solved; they appear to be blanks! I'm attaching a picture of the empty cartridge and the contents. I took what looked to be gun powder out back and it lit right off in a flash, only leaving behind the odor of spent powder, certainly no tear gas! I'll keep the remaining 5 as a keepsake for my son to have since they came from his grandfather.

Emptied.jpeg

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if they were a factory blank or home made? Looks like a hefty powder charge for a blank
Who knows? What I wonder is how did any of those old lawmen come to think these were tear gas rounds? I'm suspicious now that one of them might have been playing a bad joke on my dad way back when! Although I'm chuckling to myself about it, I remember those crowds that eventually became destructive, I can just imagine my dad firing off what he thought to be tear gas and having nothing but blanks loaded, that's not so cool! :(

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Thanks for posting as inquiring minds are now quieted for a bit. Hopefully your Dad knew and maybe was a puzzle for you to solve. Maybe powder charge big to strike more fear into crowd as most blanks are not very loud.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Looks like a home made snake load to me?

Thewelshm

·
Registered
367 Posts
I guessed blanks. I had a friend and we used to disassemble them for the powder to make home made firecrackers/bombs. You had to be careful not to scratch the primers. My friend scratched a primer and had a large pile of powder go up in smoke. Luckily he wasn't hurt. IIRC he was taking rim fire ammo apart when this happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts