Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hej! I just bought a S&W 686 (no dash) with 6" barrell. Unfortunately no box/documentation of manufacture so I would love to learn some details, when was it manufactured, what does the stamps mean etc. (serial AAJ2544)

As a new owner I would love some tips and tricks, how to shoot it etc. I am thinking of getting a rubber grip for firing 357 ammo, and also mounting a scope for long range shooting, I have seen some picatinny rails around, any suggestions?

What ammo do you use? Any suggestion on powder/round if hand loading (.38 is really expensive in Sweden)

Interesting trivia is that this revolver (as all legally known .357 Magnum at that date) has been in an forensic investigation regarding the murder of our former Prime minister Olof Palme who was assassinated using a .357 revolver at point blank.
Wood Office supplies Material property Bridal shoe Office instrument
Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood Motor vehicle
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Material property
Everyday carry Revolver Wood Gun accessory Font

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
I shoot 99% 38s in my 357 revolvers. I use a variety of 158 swc, some lead, some plated, some coated. I have also used a variety or powders over the years - Clays, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Win231 and Titegroup. #8 is very forgiving in that regard.
Welcome from slightly warmer Florida!

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shoot 99% 38s in my 357 revolvers. I use a variety of 158 swc, some lead, some plated, some coated. I have also used a variety or powders over the years - Clays, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Win231 and Titegroup. #8 is very forgiving in that regard.
Welcome from slightly warmer Florida!
Thanks! I do agree Florida is "slightly warmer", even if we do not reach Texas levels down here in Southern Sweden:)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I like the Hogue one-piece rubber grips on the 586/686. But that's the only gun I like them on. The factory S&W Target grips, such as are on your gun, don't fit me at all and seem to amplify recoil.

My opinion is that a handgun ceases to be a handgun when you attach a scope. A scope changes a good handgun into a clumsy handling, short-barrel, moderate to low-power rifle.

I have found the RCBS 150 grain cast semi wadcutter shoots really well in the .357; better (for me) than the 173 grain Lyman 358429. I have had very good luck with 125 grain to 140 grain jacketed bullets, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Hogue one-piece rubber grips on the 586/686. But that's the only gun I like them on. The factory S&W Target grips, such as are on your gun, don't fit me at all and seem to amplify recoil.

My opinion is that a handgun ceases to be a handgun when you attach a scope. A scope changes a good handgun into a clumsy handling, short-barrel, moderate to low-power rifle.

I have found the RCBS 150 grain cast semi wadcutter shoots really well in the .357; better (for me) than the 173 grain Lyman 358429. I have had very good luck with 125 grain to 140 grain jacketed bullets, too.
Totally agree with the grips, the seem to amplify the recoil.

Regarding scope it needs to come on and off, its more for fun, but we have a 50 m (55 yards) competition where you lay on your back. It is quite fun, and most shooters are using scopes...

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Hey H,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of one of the greatest revolvers of all time!

For practice/fun work? I use a 158gr LRN, .358" in diameter over 4.5gr UNIVERSAL with a FEDERAL 100.

Do a good bit of dry firing.

The four fundamentals of good revolver/pistol work are: Stance. Grip. Focus & Pace.

Look at some Jerry Miculek vids on you tube.

On this one (tail end of a Stage, couple years ago) pay mind to the hammer. Notice how I am indexing to the next target, whilst cycling the revolver.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey H,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of one of the greatest revolvers of all time!

For practice/fun work? I use a 158gr LRN, .358" in diameter over 4.5gr UNIVERSAL with a FEDERAL 100.

Do a good bit of dry firing.

The four fundamentals of good revolver/pistol work are: Stance. Grip. Focus & Pace.

Look at some Jerry Miculek vids on you tube.

On this one (tail end of a Stage, couple years ago) pay mind to the hammer. Notice how I am indexing to the next target, whilst cycling the revolver.

Later, Mark
Thanks! Swedish competition is mostly one handed (for some reason), but IPSC is of course two handed...

Anyone used the 686 for IPSC revolver? Does older 686 work with speed loaders?

/H

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
That looks a lot like the old metallic style of competition shooting, except we were using guns like Remington XP-100 single shots and shooting metallic silhouette at chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams set at distance

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Thanks! Swedish competition is mostly one handed (for some reason), but IPSC is of course two handed...

Anyone used the 686 for IPSC revolver? Does older 686 work with speed loaders?

/H

Hey H Man,

If you use the 158gr LRN....you will do well with the Safariland Comp III.

Get a loading block!

Save your fingers! LOL

In this pic, the COMP I, COMP II & COMP III are pictured.

The COMP III's come in "K" & "L" only. As do the blocks.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Cool! Thanks a lot for looking up, bought it from the first owner but he didn't really remember.

What do you guys say: is the original sights good enough or should one get LPA?
The FACTORY SIGHTS are excellent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey H Man,

If you use the 158gr LRN....you will do well with the Safariland Comp III.

View attachment 498901

Get a loading block!

Save your fingers! LOL

View attachment 498902

In this pic, the COMP I, COMP II & COMP III are pictured.

The COMP III's come in "K" & "L" only. As do the blocks.

Later, Mark
Looks really nice, will need to look into that! Unfortunately in Sweden .38 special is more than twice as expensive as 9mm, so need to limit my fun:-(

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
The red plastic front sight insert can be replaced with a kit sold through Brownell's and other gun parts retailers in the US. Also, it can be done with commonly available materials in the home. Check YouTube for instructions on how to do it yourself.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The red plastic front sight insert can be replaced with a kit sold through Brownell's and other gun parts retailers in the US. Also, it can be done with commonly available materials in the home. Check YouTube for instructions on how to do it yourself.
Cool, thanks will check youtube, Brownells in sweden have like 40$ delivery fee, so hard to buy as a private person:-(

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Hey H,

On another Forum, there is a fellow (BullDozer?) that resides in France....

He says that Parts like that are available in Europe...(a couple years ago he needed some S&W part and was able to locate it in Northern France??)

Forget the name of the Purveyor??

Later, Mark

Reactions: Hekstam
1 - 20 of 23 Posts