Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my T/C Contender out today in .35 Remington, and only about half the rounds actually fired. I was using Winchester 200 grain factory ammo. The primers seemed to show light strikes. With my .45 Colt barrel, every round factory or not goes bang. In the picture, the fired round is on top and an unfired is on the bottom. Firing pin or bad primers?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Winchester uses hard primers but I don't think it's a primer problem. I have experienced the same with 223 Remington reloads which fit the chamber tightly. Being a contender it uses 2 firing pins, so make sure the breech face stays tight. There is a screw that holds it in place, so check it that it is indeed tight.
Also, it might be a safety hanging up while using that barrel. Make sure the action is closed all the way down (it may not be totaly closed or in battery).

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Everything in 500 Magnum's post is correct but I would add that maybe your chamber is just a bit 'deep' but within SAMMI specs. My Encore 7-08 barrel had the same problem.
I solved the problem by fire forming the brass {but then had a counter bore milled into the barrel so I could use 307 brass}. An easy check is to load the barrel and let the action of closing the barrel push the cartridge into the chamber. My 7-08 would allow the case head to be too far in to get a good hit unless this was done. To fire form, use a reduced load and seat the bullet 'just touching' the lands/grooves. This will push the brass into the neck when the gun is fired. When you resize your brass, set your die up to just push back the shoulder a very little. I am cheap so I used a candle {there is other pruducts that work better, motor mica comes to mind} to 'blacken' the shoulder and went by quarter turns of the die untill I could see the black soot was smudged {I use this method to determin seating depths of bullets in a chamber too}. If you think about a single shot, you will find the head space for one is really at the breech face, not the shoulder, for other than straight wall cases. In a perfect world, you should have .002 clearance between the case and the breech face {feeler gauges can be a pain but as luck would have it, Reynolds Wrap is .002, cheap and easy to use}. If any of this is confusing, blame my high school English teacher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts