Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. I'm the guy who's always laughed at Glocks. And now I got one too. It's a Gen 5, Glock 19. I haven't shot it a lot, but I gotta admit that it shoots good. The Gen 5 grip fits my hand perfectly. I don't know if it's the lack of finger grooves, or if the previous owner installed a bigger or smaller arch (or whatever it's called) on the back. All I know is it works.

I found out it's something called a MOS model, which I understand means it's ready for an optical sight, something I've never really thought much about on a handgun. I had a red dot about the size of a coffee thermos on a 22/45 some years ago, but that's about it.

So, if a fellow was going to mount some kind of optical sight on such an animal, what would it be? I've done some looking around, and have found stuff from $35.00 to $350.00. Well, I don't really want to spend more on a sight than I did on the gun, but I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, everyone seems to like pictures, so here's a Glock.

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
Just make sure it is one that will fit the hole pattern on your pistol. The Burris Fast Fire 3 is well rated and will fit. At about $180 it doesnt break the bank either. Another would be the Vortex Venom. Fits a Glock, well rated and about $225

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
My son just installed a Holosun 508T, but he got his at a highly reduced price, going market price is around $400. This will be a police carry sidearm, so he's going high quality. That's a lot to pay, but his situation demands high quality and sturdiness.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Also check out the Sig Romeo. Have one on my 320 X5 and like it a lot. Bought a Kimber with a Delta point installed and it is very fast with the pyramid image. Both of my pistols have higher sights that can co witness with the optics so I always have a back up.

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
Put a SIG Romeo 1 on it. You won't be disappointed at all. They run around $175 and have a lifetime guarantee with them.
Anothere to look at would be a Burris Fast Fire. That's what I have on my Glock model 40

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Glock..perfection..at leats when it comes to high capacity plastic. I have found the Trigicon RMR to be the most reliable compact red dot,especially if the sight is mounted so it will be in motion every shot.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know anything about the optical sights but that looks like an older one from the grip. I have a 22,23 and 27 from the mid '90s and the grip is identical.
Jim
One of the features of the new Gen 5 is a return to no finger grooves. The first of the Gen 5 guns apparently didn't have the forward serrations you see on this one, those are a mark of a later Gen 5 (as I understand it, I'm far from an expert on Glocks). They also have a replaceable backstrap which allows you to change the size of grip entirely. They come with three backstrap units, but I bought this one used, so I didn't get any of that stuff, but the one that's on the gun is just about perfect. It feels a lot better than any other Glock I've held or fired. It also has the ambidextrous slide release.

And it says "Gen 5" on the other side. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try to stop by Ali-Babba's in the next couple of days and check out what they've got. I guess those things run on batteries of some kind? How long to the batteries last?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't know anything about the optical sights but that looks like an older one from the grip. I have a 22,23 and 27 from the mid '90s and the grip is identical.
Jim
No, it's brand spankin' new, the Gen 5 does away with the finger grooves, which had been a bone of contention for some for a long time. The one OP got is (I think) the best of the Gen 5s, in that some did not have forward slide serrations, and still had that annoying half moon cutout on the front of the grip bottom at the gen start. And it's an MOS to boot! I have a Burris FFIII on my G40 as well, and it's fine on there.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
I would also look into Sight Mark as had one on a Hi-Point 10mm carbine and it held up great and was easy to use. Had it for a year and make sure turn off when not in use and after a year battery was still strong. Shot it about 7 times and handled the recoil and bouncing around just. It costs about 130.00 and I think maybe a little underrated.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
We have 2 Glocks here, a 17 and a 21, I don't care much for the feel in the hand either, but they do work flawlessly!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I only own one Glock a G 44 in 22 LR. all my others are glock pattern courtesy of a outfit out of Dayton Neveda,that cures all the i'ls of what Gaston thinks is perfection. When the patten on the Gen 5 expires I'm sure the company I mentioned will produce it as well and then all I will have is glock pattern handguns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts