Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the Spring, I sold off my entire black gun collection. The prices were crazy as folks were panicking. My bet was no new AWB was forthcoming. Production of these guns went into overdrive and the manufacturers did their best to keep up with this demand.

Fast forward a few months to November. The dealers are flooded with Black guns, folks are turning them in fast and the back orders to the dealers are arriving. They are starting to gather dust as the demand has died. And .223 ammo is starting to show up in bulk again as folks are turning in the guns... Guns are getting almost cheap again.

So, I'm thinking now is the time to consider buying again. Picked up a Rem 700 tactical for 1/3 what it would have cost 6 months ago. It appears unfired. It was a good deal on a great rifle. Heck, even good tactical scopes are starting to be in surplus.

What do you guys think? Have we seen the bottom of the market yet...?

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I don't know Giz, I haven't really priced any lately, but I am thinking if I do see one reasonable priced I might snacth it up.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
In my opinion now is the time to buy. Preferably face to face unregistered,and stock up on ammo.This is just the the lull before the storm. ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd like to know what a good price is. There seem to be so many out there, which ones are good.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Well we just as well open that can of worms now Dave :mrgreen: In my opinion colt can't be beat, if you listen to Drew it would be Bushmaster.Some people even like DPMS, I guess their is no accounting for taste.

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
c pierce said:
Well we just as well open that can of worms now Dave :mrgreen: In my opinion colt can't be beat, if you listen to Drew it would be Bushmaster.Some people even like DPMS, I guess their is no accounting for taste.
No black rifle for me. If I am going to spend $1000 + for any rifle I will get a M1A. I prefer the power of the 7.62 x 51mm. ;)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WendyZXZ said:
c pierce said:
No black rifle for me. If I am going to spend $1000 + for any rifle I will get a M1A. I prefer the power of the 7.62 x 51mm. ;)
I so love you!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The gun racks in El Paso are bare. Not many for sale by retailers or by private individuals. I suspect scarcity remains a regional phenomenon. I have seen a lot of them for sale at the local guns shows and they are eagerly snapped up by those who can afford them. Depending on maker, they retail for anywhere between $900 and $1,800 per rifle. I've seen some priced in the neighborhood of $2,300. Yikes!

I'm with Wendy and Leighton, I'll take the 7.62x51 over the 5.56 any day of the week. But, my all-time favorite remains the M1 Garand.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Got a Garand & a M1A,but they are now considered heavy by me [ gettin old ] so the "black rifle" is the go to for me,as well as a Ruger mini 30 in 7.62X39 [ should be our military round = imnsho ].I have a Colt and an Kel-Tec 16C in 5.56.But was an armorer for my agency and we had Bushmasters and they are just fine by me.Prices were down at the last show and that includes a S&W M&P -15 at 700+ dollars.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
QC I love my m1 garands, But when it hit,s the fan 30 rounds sounds a lot better to me than 8. We will probably be fighting an urban war, fire power is where it's at. ;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Yup in my view Bushmaster makes the best AR out there now.

But you can have a Black Rifle with penetration too....

Witness the SOCOM 16.

But the only real solution is to have one (or more) of each.... ;)

Prices around here on the "Second Tier" guns like Bushmaster, Smith & Wesson, Stag and Rock River have come down quite a bit, and "Third Tier" guns like DPMS and Olympic have collapsed. I passed on a DPMS Carbine today at $600 was just about new and complete with box, etc.

Colts have stabilized and may be moving down, as I heard of a Delta HBAR complete with all, sell for $1000.

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Leighton said:
WendyZXZ said:
c pierce said:
I so love you!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Anyone know of any deals on a 9mm AR? Either lowers & uppers only or complete? For me, it has to be a DEDICATED 9mm lower, not a .223 lower with the magazine block (that's not "right" in my book). I am in the market.

Also, does anyone know of any walnut stocks for ARs? ;) :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are looking for a nice AR and want something from the upper tier you really need to look at Noveski, BCM, LMT or Colt.

I currently own a LMT but my next AR 15 M4 will be a BCM. My Rock River Arms M4 has been modded to be a mil-spec AR (all except the 1/9 barrel) and I especially like their 2 stage trigger.

If you buy a RRA lower and find a nice high quality upper (like BCM) you'll be set!

If you doubt me please go to the M4 forum (google it) and look around, you'll get the best M4 advice there.

Happy Hunting, ;)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Had a Milled SA93 Bulgarian AK walk through the door today.... in a snow storm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts