Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking at Ali-Babba's website yesterday, and I notice that supply seems to be picking up. They've actually got some stuff I might be interested in. One of them is a Model 28-2, 4" barrel, presentation stocks, and target hammer and trigger. Price is lower than the last Model 28 I saw on there. The only rub is, the finish is sort of funky, with the barrel and cylinder being sort of purpleish, where the frame is the normal matte blue.

I call up and verify that the color is as it appears in the pictures. Oh well. Throw it on hold for me and I'll come by and take a look. I stop by today and a young fellow fetches it for me. Sure enough there is a finish contrast. I've seen pictures of this but have never actually seen one. It's not as bad in person as it looks in the pictures.

I swiped these from the add. I forgot to take any myself. S/N on the layaway ticket says 1969 if that number is correct. On the ticket it says N437XX. No other numbers or letters.

So it's on layaway now. Every time I swear of N-frames, one seems to find it way back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very nice!

Thanks for sharing. There is probably an ugly 28 out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

I finally found a 19-3 yesterday. I will post pics it when it arrives.

·
Registered
20,344 Posts
Excellent. Would not have left that one behind. Looks like my Dan Wesson.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
21,307 Posts
That coloring is because of the heat treatment; I have a HK P7 with the "plum" slide; nice looking!

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liked the color a lot better after I saw it in person. It's got a few bumps and mild scratches, but locks up tight as a tick. Barrel cylinder gap is tight. The recoil shield doesn't show any ghost cartridge rims except for the one at the firing pin. I suspect it hasn't been fired much.

I'm pretty sure those aren't the original stocks, but that doesn't matter to me. I suppose they could have been special ordered. Same for the target hammer and trigger. I suppose you could order a 28 with those back in the day. Either way, I like them. :)

Whenever I get it home, I'll give it a light hit with some Flitz, then a couple of coats of Ren Wax. I think I've got a fair stash of 357 reloads around here. If not, I've got the stuff to whip some up.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
Cajun, if that serial number on the ticket is correct, that would be a 1977-78 shipping date. Pretty gun, I'm sure you'll love it like your other beauties!

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Hey CB,

Great score.

S&W had a run of "purple" revolvers...

Seems they blued some parts in one tank (all cylinders?) and others in another tank (frames?) then matched up the parts for final fit up.

I have two "purple cylinder" K Frames...

Later, Mark

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
21,035 Posts
Maybe Mark. I seem to recall seeing a picture of a 'purplish revolver'. It was quite old, and remember them stating it was plum color because of the age. I certainly hope that I don't turn purple!!!!! :rolleyes::unsure: Bob

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
I've seen other smith and wesson revolver's just like that one. Looking at the side plate it looks like it may have been re-finish. Or maybe it's just the pic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts