Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm at Ali-Babba's the other day, just passing by the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" case, when I notice a beautiful Colt SSA in a box. Well, that's interesting I tell my wife. I ask the clerk if I can see it, and he hands the gun over. Man this thing is pretty. 45 Colt too. And it has a 4 1/2 inchish barrel.

Then I noticed a US on the grip. Wait..this isn't a Colt. It's a USFA SAA. USFA was a company who made what many people consider the finest SAA ever made, even better than Colt.

Now, I'm not really a S/A guy. I like the way they look. I like the way they feel. I like the way they carry. What I don't like is shooting them on a range. Out in the field, that's one thing. In a range setting, not so much. Kinda silly, but then so am I.

I look it over. It's REALLY nice, unfired from the factory as best I can tell. Box, papers, little felt gun rug. Everything. I ask the guy to put it on hold while I think about it. He agrees, I go home, do some research and decide I'm not going to buy it.

I get up yesterday and call and tell them to put the gun back. No problem.

I tell my wife I've decided not to get it. She tells to call them back and have them hold the gun. "I'm not going to listen to you mope and whine about how you should bought that gun."

So, without further ado, some really lousy pictures.

I was even able to get a full box of 45 Colt ammo for slightly less than the cost of the gun. :)

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Congrats as that is a beauty. Like the single actions

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Beautiful gun. Even if you rarely shoot it, I think your wife was right about saving her ears from future "I should have's."

Disclosure: Both hubby and I are each other's enablers, but our mutual line is more often, "If you really want it, just get it!" -- followed by: "Did you buy (order) it YET?" That works.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hey CB,

Wow!

I think the folk at "Ali Baba's".....they got yer number! LOL

That is a fine revolver.....(would say shoot it well/often...but as you mentioned ......price of ammo/primers...)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Some USFA's are made with Uberti parts and other USFA's are 100% American made. Do you know which one you got? I don't know the cut off date when they became 100% American or should I say serial number.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some USFA's are made with Uberti parts and other USFA's are 100% American made. Do you know which one you got? I don't know the cut off date when they became 100% American or should I say serial number.
The S/N is in the 24000 range. The envelope with the spent cartridge in it is dated 2006. I'm not sure if that tells me anything I didn't know before or not.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I am with you on your feelings about single actions. Almost un American not to have one though. My one and only is a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .45 ACP/ .45 Colt and it is very accurate. You did well to listen to your wife and pick up that beauty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So, I'm at Ali-Babba's the other day, just passing by the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" case, when I notice a beautiful Colt SSA in a box. Well, that's interesting I tell my wife. I ask the clerk if I can see it, and he hands the gun over. Man this thing is pretty. 45 Colt too. And it has a 4 1/2 inchish barrel.

Then I noticed a US on the grip. Wait..this isn't a Colt. It's a USFA SAA. USFA was a company who made what many people consider the finest SAA ever made, even better than Colt.

Now, I'm not really a S/A guy. I like the way they look. I like the way they feel. I like the way they carry. What I don't like is shooting them on a range. Out in the field, that's one thing. In a range setting, not so much. Kinda silly, but then so am I.

I look it over. It's REALLY nice, unfired from the factory as best I can tell. Box, papers, little felt gun rug. Everything. I ask the guy to put it on hold while I think about it. He agrees, I go home, do some research and decide I'm not going to buy it.

I get up yesterday and call and tell them to put the gun back. No problem.

I tell my wife I've decided not to get it. She tells to call them back and have them hold the gun. "I'm not going to listen to you mope and whine about how you should bought that gun."

So, without further ado, some really lousy pictures.

View attachment 502871

View attachment 502872

I was even able to get a full box of 45 Colt ammo for slightly less than the cost of the gun. :)
Best part of this story is your wife’s involvement. Having a wife like that is priceless! I thought I had it made because my GF could care less about how much I spend on guns as long as I don’t sell “hers”, but I think you got me beat.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think yours is 100% American made.
I checked with the Colt forum and they all agreed that it is indeed, an American made model. They also indicated that $1300 was pretty close to a steal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts