Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And to my surprise, no line, no waiting. WOW. The last couple of weeks every time I went by the line was 30-40 or so deep just to get in the door (they're restricted to 10 customers or less these days). So, Misty and I go in.

They must have been doing a land office business in Smith and Wesson's. They've got two full cases of nothing but nice Smith and Wessons. Some older ones, some newer ones. Name a cartridge S&W put in a revolver, and it's probably in there. 14's, 15's, 18's, 19's, 21's, 22's, 24's, 25's, 29's...you get the idea. A few J-frames, I don't even know what they are. 32's and 38's I think.

Anyway, I see a Model 19 with a set of diamond target grips. I'm sort of a sucker for them, and the only Model 19 I have now is a 19-9. This on in the case is a -1. I've never even seen a -1 anything, much less a Model 19. S/N is in the K458xxx range, which should be around 1962 or so. It's a shooter grade for sure, but mechanically is sound. I figure it will clean up half-way decent.

<sigh> It's on lay-a-way.

19-1.jpg

19-1a.jpeg

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You definitely have the golden horseshoe when it comes to finding nice revolvers..

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey CB,

Beauty. Already has muzzle wear/turn line.

Shoot it well & often!!

Later, (your only little bit JEALOUS friend) Mark:D

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
You definitely have the golden horseshoe when it comes to finding nice revolvers..
Hey Wire,

You know him, too? ;)

Later, Mark

Reactions: CajunBass

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good catch! Those grips look especially nice.

Do they have a web site and do online sales?
Yes, they do. Just do a search for Green Top Hunt and Fish in Richmond/Ashland, Va. They do internet sales, but do not count on the website when looking for something. If you're interested, it would probably be best to call and talk to someone there about what they have right now. Things change faster in the used market than the computer geeks can keep up with.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey CB,

Beauty. Already has muzzle wear/turn line.

Shoot it well & often!!

Later, (your only little bit JEALOUS friend) Mark:D
Yea, she's a long way from pristine, but I've got an eye for hidden beauty. A little work with Flitz and Ren wax and she'll be decent enough to take to the prom. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,371 Posts
CB, you might as well set up Ali Babba's with automatic and monthly withdrawls from your checking account. And let them pick your gun of the month. Then all they'll need to do is call you when it's all paid up, so you can just go in fill out your 4473, and take the new one home with you.
It would surely save you a bunch of trips back and forth to see what they have, and which of them you'll take home with you.

Warm regards,
Gregory

P.S......
Nice find, and congratulations on the acquisition!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, heck no. The "hunt" is about 90% of the fun. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’m jealous, It’s got some wear but still a beauty and the -1s are kinda rare. I go to 3 or 4 gun stores once a week just to check the used case. Wish we had a store with that kinda inventory. Very nice sir.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Can you get me a lottery ticket mate?...:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang - a 4"-5" 19 is what I need* - and '62 is even my birth year**!

Have fun with it, great gun.

* To go with my Father's 2 1/2" 19-3 (1970).

** However, according to the serial number list in the sticky, 1962 began with K468099, so it is a 1961. https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1857-1945/27731-need-help-identifying-old-s-w-revolver-part-ii.html
Yea, I had seen in "the book" that it's a 1961, but I'm basing the '62 date off known S/N's that have been verified as having been shipped in '62. I don't suppose the actual date is important...unless it was a '52, which is my birth year. :)

Oddly enough, and totally off topic, I have never seen a '52. I've owned 48, 49, 50, 51, 53, 54, 55 and so on. Never a '52. :)

I'll have to take that back. I did SEE one once. A 1952 Terrier in 38 S&W, with box, papers, factory letter...you name it. It was years ago and I passed on it it because (1) I don't care for the small J-frame guns, and the Terrier was even smaller. (2) It was chambered for 38 S&W a cartridge I had no interest in. (3) I was too cheap to pay the asking price. (4) I figured I'd find another 52 somewhere down the line. We all know how that works out.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey CB,

Sounds like a Johnny Cash Song!:D

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
146 Posts
Until a few months ago I had no interest in the .38 S&W cartridge... now I own an Enfield No 2 Mk 1 revolver (the moderately rare kind, with the hammer spur still attached to the hammer).

So now I have .38 S&W ammo, and dies, and brass, and bullets... ;)

So that Terrier would be fine for me. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts