Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ali-Babba was finally able to open with no line a couple of days ago. I stopped by and got some Unique powder, but the crowd around the handgun counter was too deep to even try to penetrate. I took my powder and went home.

Went back yesterday morning and things were a lot calmer. I managed to penetrate the outer defenses and made it to the "good" side of the island...where the used guns are kept.

Way down in the bottom of the case, I see an old Colt Trooper...in the box. Looking like it just left the factory yesterday. I ask to see it. One advantage of buying Python's lately is that other guns look cheap in comparison. This one turned out to be a 38 Special Trooper. I'd heard of such animals, but had never seen one.

Inside the box was a target, with five 38 wadcutter holes. Of those five shots, there were two groups of two shots each that touched each other. The one flyer, was just outside. I probably could have covered the five shots with the end of my thumb, if not just the nail. The notation on the bottom of the target read...15 yards. 12/27/1966. I later verified the S/N as 1966.

As best I could determine, that may have been the last time the gun as fired.

The box had seen better days, but it wasn't falling apart or anything. I told the guy to put it back. My wife rolled up on her cart. "Anything interesting?" Just that one old Trooper I said. "Lemmie see. OH....I like this. Did you get it? WHY NOT?" SIGH....What can I say?

So it's in the layaway bin.

This is one of the old Troopers that has the "Python action." They didn't have the vent rib/underlug barrel, or the deep Royal Blue "Python finish" but internally they were the same gun.

Personally, I doubt I'll ever shoot it. Why? I've got other 38's. I think I'll just keep this one as an example of how they used to be. Besides. I know I could never come close to matching that target in the box. Not even if I used a machine rest. :) Why embarrass the lady?

(Yes, I'm reasonably sure that group was fired at the very least off a solid set of sandbags, or a machine rest.)

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I'd still shoot it................

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew somebody would say that...and soon. :)

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
So what, and where, is an "Ali-Babba"?

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
"Ali-Babba" is a reference to his local favorite gun shop. You probably have one or two nearby where you live too...

The allusion kind of reminds me of the part Eddie Albert played in the movie "Oklahoma!" as the peddler, with a smooth tongue and cart full of tempting stock....

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wasn't a boring story at all! Conquering the great hordes, finding a grail in a pile of rubbish and then an enabling siren!!

Awesome story!

And yea.. I would have to put at least one cylinder through it. Just have ta

·
Premium Member
10,432 Posts
I bought my Simson Luger (the rarest that exist) at a local gun show where I often volunteer for GRNC. It was an ugly refinished duckling when I bought it - but not anymore... It's one of only 12,000 made (of several million Lugers produced by a number of manufacturers). There it was, sitting there lonely and unwanted on the table...

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So what, and where, is an "Ali-Babba"?
Ali-Babba is indeed my “pet name” for my LGS. Green Top Hunt and Fish in Richmond, Va..

Full name is "Ali-Babba's House O Guns."

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Cajun ain’t Cajun... he’s Irish......go get my lottery ticket mate, you and Leo have the ultimate gun luck...:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Ali-Babba was finally able to open with no line a couple of days ago. I stopped by and got some Unique powder, but the crowd around the handgun counter was too deep to even try to penetrate. I took my powder and went home.

Went back yesterday morning and things were a lot calmer. I managed to penetrate the outer defenses and made it to the "good" side of the island...where the used guns are kept.

Way down in the bottom of the case, I see an old Colt Trooper...in the box. Looking like it just left the factory yesterday. I ask to see it. One advantage of buying Python's lately is that other guns look cheap in comparison. This one turned out to be a 38 Special Trooper. I'd heard of such animals, but had never seen one.

Inside the box was a target, with five 38 wadcutter holes. Of those five shots, there were two groups of two shots each that touched each other. The one flyer, was just outside. I probably could have covered the five shots with the end of my thumb, if not just the nail. The notation on the bottom of the target read...15 yards. 12/27/1966. I later verified the S/N as 1966.

As best I could determine, that may have been the last time the gun as fired.

The box had seen better days, but it wasn't falling apart or anything. I told the guy to put it back. My wife rolled up on her cart. "Anything interesting?" Just that one old Trooper I said. "Lemmie see. OH....I like this. Did you get it? WHY NOT?" SIGH....What can I say?

So it's in the layaway bin.

View attachment 468411
View attachment 468412

This is one of the old Troopers that has the "Python action." They didn't have the vent rib/underlug barrel, or the deep Royal Blue "Python finish" but internally they were the same gun.

Personally, I doubt I'll ever shoot it. Why? I've got other 38's. I think I'll just keep this one as an example of how they used to be. Besides. I know I could never come close to matching that target in the box. Not even if I used a machine rest. :) Why embarrass the lady?

(Yes, I'm reasonably sure that group was fired at the very least off a solid set of sandbags, or a machine rest.)

Hey CB,

Wow! What a FANTASTIC COLT'S!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cajun ain’t Cajun... he’s Irish......go get my lottery ticket mate, you and Leo have the ultimate gun luck...:)

Thewelshm
Well, you're close to right. Part Irish, part German. All American.

Not a Cajun. I've never even seen Louisiana. I got the Cajun in my name from the Cajun bass boats I used to run back in my tournament fishing days. Best bass boats ever built IMHO. :)

I've always thought it would be a great SASS name.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Fantastic old Pony. Congrats on finding it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts