Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today I tried to make snap caps for the 38 spl used Devcon to fill primer pocket, that did not work it shattered when hit with firing pin.
is there some thing that can be used with that works , or should I just buy some good brand (what is a good brand to buy?)

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Azooms are good training rounds; you can also superglue a rubber eraser from a #2 pencil; for rimfires like a revolver, the yellow #4 wall anchors work perfectly; for shotguns, the first method with erasers also works great.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
These are what I use for my .38 and .22's. The yellow ones are the wall anchors and the red ones are store bought as snap caps, forgot what brand. I love the Italian snap caps for the .38.

Half dollar for scale.

show me where i am

Reactions: Cliff and Curt360

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used the wall anchor for 22 be for need to find some better ones they did not last long, just looked at a-zoom on net man those are high dollar think I have a old eraser some where will have to see if I make a punch out of tubbing and cut some out. worth a try I have lots of time can't go to range.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To make dummy rounds/snap caps, I drill a couple of noticible holes in the brass case and then use the reloading press to seat a bullet (no powder!). Then, I use some black silicone sealer to fill the primer pocket. Once the silicone is dry, use a razor blade to scrape off the end of the case. Done this way they are easy to identify and will last forever!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just use plain ol' solder in the primer hole of a spent cartridge (I leave the cartridge empty, so no one will mistake it for a live round). It works just fine, and you can't beat the price - cheap. It's dents abit after many. many repeated hits, but it never gets so beat up that it becomes useless. And, if you think it's dented too much, just put a soldering iron to it to re-melt it - voila - you're good to go for more.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally, I want snap caps/ dummies to be clearly different from ammunition at the briefest of glances, even in a position where the business end or primer hole are not visible.... no questions, no mistakes.

I like the A-Zoom brand... not cheap, but good quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to day made some eraser plugs to put in primer pocket had a old eraser about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick sliced it with razor blade and took a 223 case and size it with out neck expander then chamfer out side a little extra with chamfer tool cut six plugs for large primer pocket ( 44spl ) then used a 22 shell to cut plugs for small primer pocket ( 38spl ) did not use any glue just stuff them in and tried them out got about 10 snaps on each one they look good to go and did not come out will seat some bullets and use them with speed loader also.

·
Premium Member
17,299 Posts
I use a sharpened tube to wadcut a piece of 1/4 inch roofing rubber and put that in the primer pocket. The neoprene holds up well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts