Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a smith Wesson 627-0 and 627-1 stamped? It has the features of the 627-1 except it’s not drilled and tapped! It’s not marked model 1989 on barrel but it has 357 magnum model 627 on side plate and the top strap is checkered? Anyone have any info on this gun? 80030ECC-16D2-4992-8062-B87E7AA7D0F0.jpeg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I used to have a dash-0 but no longer. Quite a nose heavy gun accented by the round butt ,full under lug and un-fluted cyl. Square butt conversion grips helped but I never fully bonded.
But those are just my weird parameters and do not discount your gun.:D
Yours has some odd points. Not common but I have seen a few of them , but never the lasered engraving on the side. The serial prefix would indicate a much later shipping date ,possibly as late as 1994. All that and the double stamped model number MIGHT indicate a out of sequence assembly of left over parts clearanced by one of the distributers.

I am seldom an advocate for getting a letter but if the answers are important to you , it may be your only recourse.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
The stamping looks like factory work.

It's either out of sequence parts assembly as mentioned above, or possibly a gun that was reworked after initial assembly for some reason. I don't have my SCSW handy. What were the engineering modifications for a -1?

Marc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No flash chromed hammer trigger and drilled tapped but this one is not drilled and tapped

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Double stamping is not unusual. I have a Model 25-5 with the -5 overstamping a -2. So in my case, the wanted to build a 45 long Colt and had the frame for an ACP handy. It may or may not have had the barrel installed, no serial number on barrel. So, switch out the frame lug and install a long Colt cylinder and they are most of the way there. I am not fluent in the two models in question so I will leave that speculation to other, wiser individuals.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts