Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased my first AR-15 M&P Sport II in June 2020. All was good the first two times me and my son went out. (about 300 rounds) loved it, but I noticed the distance the shells were ejecting was getting shorter and shorter. I thought this might be part of a break in period. The third time, (in July), the shells were not always ejecting and jamming up the rifle. It would shoot one, sometimes two, and then jam up. I know a little about the way things work. I also watched about 100 YouTube videos. I concluded it was a gas leak. I checked the gas block, port, tube, key, and Bolt Carrier Group. I was using quality ammo. All seemed good. I contacted S&W to arrange a return. Rule 1. Weapon must be put back to stock, Rule 2. Shipped in an unmarked box. (My box has Smith & Wesson in huge letters), Rule 3. FEDX only (and many locations do not ship weapons so you have to do your own research to find one). I didn't want to give up. Then I saw a video on checking the BCG. Checking the gas key screws with reverse torque. BINGO!! The head of one of the socket head cap screws had broken off, causing the gas leak. The staking had stopped the head from falling out. I think this had to have happened during the assembly, probably from the staking process, because operating the weapon should not cause too much stress on the screws. . I contacted S&W, they still wanted the whole gun!.
I ended up buying a new bolt carrier. $125. S&W would of had my weapon 6-8 weeks. they could not tell me where they get their BCG's . I bought one from Lewis Machine Tool. (a military supplier) (LMT), because I read they sometimes make them for S&W. I know there are 100's out there who make them, I wanted stock.
I just wanted to throw this out there. I try to inform people having similar problems. I have been a loyal customer to S&W. I know stuff happens, but I should have been able to return just the bolt carrier group

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hey cool breeze, you did the right thing and the LMT BCG is an upgrade IMO. Daniel Defense also makes a great BCG and bolt or at least sources and stands by their product.
Learning the rifles and self-servicing in most cases is a more efficient way. Get an extra bolt if the new carrier didn't come with one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey cool breeze, you did the right thing and the LMT BCG is an upgrade IMO. Daniel Defense also makes a great BCG and bolt or at least sources and stands by their product.
Learning the rifles and self-servicing in most cases is a more efficient way. Get an extra bolt if the new carrier didn't come with one.
I only bought the carrier. The unit only had about 500 rounds through it so I figured the bolt was fine. I did change the gas rings. I figured I wouldn't use old piston rings with a new cylinder on an engine, so this was the same situation, and it felt loose. I ordered an extra LMT bolt just to have one. In hindsight I should have purchased the whole unit together. It was in stock. Now I have a 6 month wait for the bolt

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've had more issues with bolt/rings than any other parts on the AR. Sheared lugs and broken rings. My DD M7 blew 2 rings in one shooting session and kept chugging alone. :) I keep spare rings and a bolt on hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had more issues with bolt/rings than any other parts on the AR. Sheared lugs and broken rings. My DD M7 blew 2 rings in one shooting session and kept chugging alone. :) I keep spare rings and a bolt on hand.
Will do Pazzo. In uncertain times, (when are there any certain times?), You don't want to have to throw your weapon at the bad guys in self defense because of a broken part.

·
Registered
19,491 Posts
Never had issue one returning a firearm to S&W for warranty service. S&W always provides a Fed Ex pre paid return label and when they are picking it up and I always ship back in the original box too. Did that twice, both times the exact same procedure

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
19,491 Posts
Better enjoy that AR. If Biden gets elected, it will be gone. You can count on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently purchased my first AR-15 M&P Sport II in June 2020. All was good the first two times me and my son went out. (about 300 rounds) loved it, but I noticed the distance the shells were ejecting was getting shorter and shorter. I thought this might be part of a break in period. The third time, (in July), the shells were not always ejecting and jamming up the rifle. It would shoot one, sometimes two, and then jam up. I know a little about the way things work. I also watched about 100 YouTube videos. I concluded it was a gas leak. I checked the gas block, port, tube, key, and Bolt Carrier Group. I was using quality ammo. All seemed good. I contacted S&W to arrange a return. Rule 1. Weapon must be put back to stock, Rule 2. Shipped in an unmarked box. (My box has Smith & Wesson in huge letters), Rule 3. FEDX only (and many locations do not ship weapons so you have to do your own research to find one). I didn't want to give up. Then I saw a video on checking the BCG. Checking the gas key screws with reverse torque. BINGO!! The head of one of the socket head cap screws had broken off, causing the gas leak. The staking had stopped the head from falling out. I think this had to have happened during the assembly, probably from the staking process, because operating the weapon should not cause too much stress on the screws. . I contacted S&W, they still wanted the whole gun!.
I ended up buying a new bolt carrier. $125. S&W would of had my weapon 6-8 weeks. they could not tell me where they get their BCG's . I bought one from Lewis Machine Tool. (a military supplier) (LMT), because I read they sometimes make them for S&W. I know there are 100's out there who make them, I wanted stock.
I just wanted to throw this out there. I try to inform people having similar problems. I have been a loyal customer to S&W. I know stuff happens, but I should have been able to return just the bolt carrier group
Now I noticed my M&P 2.0 9mm has a broken retainer clip on the slide spring. Bought in July 2020, 500 rounds. Here we go again. Ruger anyone??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
It has always amazed me the number of first time posters (any forum) that buy a new firearm, have an issue and then complain about returning it back to the factory? Then then go and spend hundreds of dollars to "fix" it.??
SW is the easiest place to return something. Call them, they e mail you a label, Call Fed Ex they come and pick it up.
As to a box, the original box comes in a outside shipping box (pick up one in the dumpster of the gun shop you bought it at" I keep several in my garage (rifle and handgun)

It s kind of stupid to ship something that says GUN on the outside??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like something everyone should know before and after the range. I am new to the rifle. Do you have a picture of it so I can understand what to check for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It has always amazed me the number of first time posters (any forum) that buy a new firearm, have an issue and then complain about returning it back to the factory? Then then go and spend hundreds of dollars to "fix" it.??
SW is the easiest place to return something. Call them, they e mail you a label, Call Fed Ex they come and pick it up.
As to a box, the original box comes in a outside shipping box (pick up one in the dumpster of the gun shop you bought it at" I keep several in my garage (rifle and handgun)

It s kind of stupid to ship something that says GUN on the outside??
Thank you, good to know they are easy to deal with if I have have any issues. I heard the rifle is pretty reliable my Sport II.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought about that, having a spare bolt. Not the whole bolt carrier? Just the bolt? Is the M&P 15 sport 2 just a regular Mil-Spec bolt? What rings? The gas rings?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts