Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new here and sort of new to the gun community. I have recently started collecting and came across this beauty. I have not been able to find out really anything about this gun other than; It is post war, maybe 1946, the model could be a 10, 11, 12, or 45. Was told it could possibly be an Air Crewman? The trigger guard is missing right past the trigger ("quick draw") is what I was told. Now smith and wesson did make a gun like this, but it was a smaller barreled revolver. Can this be ordered like this? Or did someone else do this? I paid a good bit for this beauty. I just hope I didn't get took. Help please ❤

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
I have never heard of S&W cutting a trigger guard like that, though I believe Colt may have done so in the 20's or 30's. It is usually done to snub nosed revolvers. The serial number would tell if it was produced post war, but I think it is a pre WW2 revolver. S&W didnt use a model numbering system until 1958, so you won't find one on that revolver. Its a 38 M&P.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Brittney! It is a modification championed by John FitzGerald of Colt and called a Fitz Special. There is only 1 known S&W revolver so modified by the factory and it isn't yours, unfortunately. Quite a few S&W guns were so modified by non-factory gunsmiths or hobbyists and I suspect yours is in that category. If you would post the serial number from the butt of the gun, we may be able to tell you when your gun was made. Best I can do is say in the 1930's.

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Brittney! It is a modification championed by John FitzGerald of Colt and called a Fitz Special. There is only 1 known S&W revolver so modified by the factory and it isn't yours, unfortunately. Quite a few S&W guns were so modified by non-factory gunsmiths or hobbyists and I suspect yours is in that category. If you would post the serial number from the butt of the gun, we may be able to tell you when your gun was made. Best I can do is say in the 1930's.
Wiregrass has it right on the nail head. Fitz Specials. There were many reasons why John FitzGerald did this to the guns. One was to get on the trigger quicker. ? Second was using the gun in the winter time with gloves on . Third was so allow more room for the finger with a heavier return spring to return the trigger forward faster . All three were ideas but the safety of the weapon was more important to Smith Wesson . They only made one gun at the factory in this configuration, pronounced it an unsafe practice and ceased every making another one. . The gun is a rare version and only a few hundred were ever produced by Fitz. . It is a good collector

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Hey BA,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Pics of a "FitZ" right out the gate!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
312 Posts
For Brittney - S&W didn't assign model numbers before 1957 - the models had names before then.

In your case, it was an "M&P" (Military and Police).

Those numbers inside the yoke in your photo are assembly numbers important only to the person assembling the parts, to make sure that parts that had been hand-fitted to each other ended up in the same finished revolver.

They are not the serial number nor a model number.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
Post factory mod other than that there is nothing special about your S&W. Who knows who did that mod. Any marks under the grips like a name or initials? Request a factory letter? You never know what you'll find out. Never buy the story just the gun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Somebody, somewhere, somewhen, needed something badder than what you get in the stores downtown. And now you got it Brittney. Iron with an attitude. You did well, and I think your collection is going to be very interesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts