Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Gen 1, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Shoots very well, reliable, accurate. My question, it does have a lanyard loop at the bottom of the mag well. Is this normal for all model 59's ?? Also, does an occasional box (20) rounds of +P 124 gr hurt it ?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
My 59 has the lanyard loop.
I have had mine since new and it has been flawless.
This is just me the only Smith&Wesson firearms I have left are bought new in the 70's and I will not use plus p ammo in any of them.

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Mine has the loop too.
Like wirenut, I don't shoot +P in my classic vintage guns.
Even if they were designed for it, the hotter stuff creates more wear and tear, and parts for these vintage guns aren't getting any easier to find - or any cheaper.
They may be capable of shooting the hot stuff until the cows come home, but since I don't know their complete history or how many hot rounds they've shot, I err on the side of caution and minimize stress on them by sticking with standard pressure ammo. +P doesn't kill paper any better than standard pressure ammo, and I don't use my classics for carry. They are for range and/or SHTF use. I have plenty of plastic fantastics for carry duty.

Reactions: mrerick and wirenut

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I also got an extra replacement spring kit from Brownells, just to have in case something fails.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't regularly fire plus p ammo from my older classic firearms. I tend to agree about the wear and tear issues where I would understand using plus p is if this was the only firearm you have for self defense run a box of plus p thru it to test function. practice at the range with standard cheaper range ball ammo and carry the plus p for self defense and hope you never need to use it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a mid 70’s nickel 59, nib with a light blue/ gray box, as it came new... Its never been fired, even has the S&W waxed wrapping paper around the gun, the cleaning brush still wrapped up all if the paper work snd the original bill of sale....the question i have is it only has one magazine, did it come with two?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Willybob, that's a good question about one or two magazines when new. I purchased two brand new, one in 1973 and the other in 1974. The one from '74 I carried as a duty weapon until the department changed to the 1911 Govt model. I racked my brain trying to remember either having two magazines but I don't recall that they did. I sold the first one years later unfired with box and accessories. I still have my well worn duty weapon pictured here and fortunately I have six extra magazines.

IMG_3156.JPG

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I also got an extra replacement spring kit from Brownells, just to have in case something fails.
Springs are good to have but not scarce. I'd be more concerned about things like extractors, firing pins, hammer struts, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts