Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up my (new) Smith & Wesson Model 41 with a 7 inch barrel tomorrow what kind of ammo should I use I called Smith and Wesson and they said CCI Mini Mags. What do you-all shoot in your model 41.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Where did you buy your S&W Model 41?

·
Premium Member
10,373 Posts
IIIRC, the manual is specific on the Model 41 using standard velocity ammunition. That's all I used in mine, and it shoots and cycles fine. See page 10 of the manual.

Your Model 41 is a precision .22LR pistol.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It's an Aimpoint SC5000. It was originally a 2X that belonged to a friend and he removed the 2X converter on the front. I like it this way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Use CCI Standard Velocity. You can shoot a box or 2 of Mini Mags, but they're a bit harder on the gun than Standard Velocity. Because the Model 41 comes from the factory with a light recoil spring that's designed to operate the gun on Standard Velocity ammunition. That excess energy has to go somewhere, so it beats up the slide and frame. Not a lot, but it's a cumulative thing over time.

If you want to shoot a steady diet of High Velocity ammo, buy yourself one of these recoil spring calibration kits from Brownell's. They include 3 different weight recoil springs. You can select the heaviest one for shooting High Velocity Mini Mags, Velociters and such. That way it won't be so hard on the gun.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/s-w-model-41-recoil-calibration-pack-sku969000246-118409-214617.aspx

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Std velocity 22 ammo in mine too. I piss off the "show-offs" at the local range with their speed 22's. They don't like an Old Fart winning THEY'RE match....!:eek:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
M 41 ammo!

Hey B,

Am with the other folk.

CCI STANDARD will perform very well for you!:cool:

Later, Mark

Attachments

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to shoot for accuracy use CCI SV or really any SV style ammo. Use that for the precision style shooting on Targets and so on. But for steel targets and stuff like that I shoot Box style High Velocity stuff. Mine is a new model 41, approx. 6 months old. I don't know about the factory spring being week, it is an 8 pound spring. Wolf sell's a 7 pound spring just for SV ammo. The factory Manual states that it will shoot any SAMI spec. 22 lr. ammo. But it also say's if you shoot Hyper Velocity ammo it will need service sooner. This is on page 10 of the owners manual. I never shoot hyper velocity in mine but I do shoot a lot of the Box style (my favorite is 40 grain Remington Thunder Bolts) High Velocity. I shoot all my steel plates at 25 yards with that ammo. I have no problems with any ammo after polishing the chamber on mine, before that it would not extract any style ammo.

Enjoy that pistol, it has turned out to be my favorite.

Any modern style pistol should be able to handle high velocity ammo. The steel is not like it was back in the 50's & 60's

·
Registered
6 Posts
IIIRC, the manual is specific on the Model 41 using standard velocity ammunition. That's all I used in mine, and it shoots and cycles fine. See page 10 of the manual.

Your Model 41 is a precision .22LR pistol.
The manual only specifies against hyper velocity ammo, which in CCI is their Stinger .22lr line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts