Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have been reading a lot of info about this firearm and seems like this forum has some VERY knowledgeable folks who may help me. First, I realize pictures are a must, so I will include as many as you need. The firearm is a S&W ” 45 Cal Model 1955” as stamped on barrel. S/N on butt is S 114###. With cylinder open you can see M 31394 7 stamped on frame. My question is 45 acp rounds in a half or full moon clip do not work ( can not close the cylinder). You also can not load them individualy as the cylinder holes are too big and rounds literally fall down in them, as why the moon clips were used I’m thinking. Just to see, I inserted a 45 colt round in the cylinder and it fits like a glove??. This may have modified to fit colt rounds by a good gunsmith at some point but I read that they may have been a handful of Model 1955’s that were actually made to shoot the 45 colt round...... I just want to know what I inherited. This may be a 25-2 Target, as it is one heavy boy... ha ha. unfortunately, when you get something handed down to you, it’s history can die with the owner. Any help would be most helpful. I will get to the S&W 38 special long barrel next after this....... TY
gunerjon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Gunner, I’m a long ways from any kind of expert, but the numbers you see in the crane area are assemble numbers, meaningless today. If it was a 25-2, it would be stamped as such. No model stamp says prior to 1957 manufacturing date to me. Since the chambers are recessed for a rimmed cartridge, 45 Colt is your answer for cartridge type. I suspect several “Model of 1955” experts will be along to expand on this. Hank

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
Looks like it’s chambered for 45 Colt. There were a rare few that were chambered thus. I’m guessing the cylinder was switched out.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that is what I was seeing as well. I have not shot this yet as I need to know exactly what rounds are acceptable. when dealing with firearms..... ” I Think” should not suffice. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
Looks like it’s chambered for 45 Colt. There were a rare few that were chambered thus. I’m guessing the cylinder was switched out.

I’m wondering if it’s actually a Model 1950 that was rebarreled with a Model 1955 barrel. Your serial is too early for a 1955

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe, I’ve heard of that being done before, but from what I have read, there is usually at least 1 telltale sign of re-barrel and cylinder switch due to space clearance issues. I may never know for sure. A part of me wants to believe this may be the rare one but there are soo many possibilities of after market adjustments. I will certainly cherish this and shoot it with utmost respect either way. Thanks for the input. I think we agree that 45 colt is probably the correct round for this beast.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
On a .45ACP gun there is a big space between the recoil shield and the rear of the cylinder. Your gun does not have that. Also the barrel protrudes farther into the cylinder window to meet up with a short cylinder as that's all that's required for the .45ACP round. Again your gun is not like that. I had a Model 25-2 converted to .45 Colt and it looks just like your gun. The S114XXX number put your gun in the 1954 - 1955 era (before model numbers) so the only way to know if the gun is a factory chambered gun is to send off for a letter. My 1955 in .45 Colt is one of my favorite guns. Enjoy shooting yours.

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm not an expert but I have an opinion. ;) The barrel and cylinder have no serial numbers. They should be numbered to the frame if they were original to the frame. S&W didn't stop that practice until 1958. Also, it appears your extractor rod is left hand thread since it has a gutter between the knurling and rod shaft. The change to left hand thread happened in 1961. I think your barrel and cylinder were swapped onto the frame at some point in its life and are several years younger than the frame. A factory letter would confirm that for $100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank guys ( Series and Wiregrass). I see what you are saying. Am I safe to assume that we all agree that it shoots 45 colt rounds? Regardless of how it became to be, I believe this will soon be my favorite shooter. Thanks for your input. I’m just wondering why the barrel stamp matches what the S/N number was made? Aren’t the target 45’s with heavy barrels made exactly like this with same barrel stamp? Why switch out barrels with exact stamp? ( unless the later 45 colts are stamped like this) then that would make sense but I read that those later barrels were stamped 45 colt. Sooo much to learn but that’s why we ask. Thank you, really. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Hey G,

Welcome to S&W!

Fine revolver, there!

No telling what folk may have done..or why? (because they could?) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm not an expert but I have an opinion. ;) The barrel and cylinder have no serial numbers. They should be numbered to the frame if they were original to the frame. S&W didn't stop that practice until 1958. Also, it appears your extractor rod is left hand thread since it has a gutter between the knurling and rod shaft. The change to left hand thread happened in 1961. I think your barrel and cylinder were swapped onto the frame at some point in its life and are several years younger than the frame. A factory letter would confirm that for $100.
Save the money. If it were original , it would have been stamped ".45 COLT CTG". It's been rechambered for 45 colt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Read this. I’m in the same boat as you, finally getting around to send for paperwork here in the next few weeks I hope.

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
If it were original , it would have been stamped ".45 COLT CTG".
According to the SCSW, 4th Ed., that's true for later model-marked Mod. 25's. But they were also produced with barrels stamped 45 CAL. MODEL 1955. I believe jpfrog's Model 25 will letter...without the porting. But, Gunnerjon's frame is too early to be a Model 1955. I suspect it was a Model 1950 which got a barrel and cylinder replacement. There is a really rare chance that Gunner's frame was pulled from inventory after 1961 and had contemporary barrel and cylinder fitted at the factory, then sold as new. S&W is known to have done this in the past. But, I wouldn't bet $100 on that being the 1 in a million case in the modern era.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
According to the SCSW, 4th Ed., that's true for later model-marked Mod. 25's. But they were also produced with barrels stamped 45 CAL. MODEL 1955. I believe jpfrog's Model 25 will letter...without the porting. But, Gunnerjon's frame is too early to be a Model 1955. I suspect it was a Model 1950 which got a barrel and cylinder replacement. There is a really rare chance that Gunner's frame was pulled from inventory after 1961 and had contemporary barrel and cylinder fitted at the factory, then sold as new. S&W is known to have done this in the past. But, I wouldn't bet $100 on that being the 1 in a million case in the modern era.
I'd bet money on a caliber conversion (not factory).

Here's a lettered .45 LC 1950 . Note the marking. 45 COLT CTG. I'm sure someone in SWCA has a 1955 45 LC- I'll bet it's also roll stamped the same way.

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
Fran, did you read jpfrog's thread he linked to above? His model marked Mod 25-2 is chambered in .45 Colt and barrel is marked .45 Cal. Model 1955. SCSW says this is a rare configuration as most were marked like yours. I agree that it is most likely Gunnerjon's gun is non-factory.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Fran, did you read jpfrog's thread he linked to above? His model marked Mod 25-2 is chambered in .45 Colt and barrel is marked .45 Cal. Model 1955. SCSW says this is a rare configuration as most were marked like yours. I agree that it is most likely Gunnerjon's gun is non-factory.
I was talking about Gunnerjon's gun. I think jpfrog's is as you state. They do show up from time to time, but they're always model marked guns.

The 15 or so Mod1955 45 LC's would be rollstamped. I remember seeing one on the Blue forum

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I put the question up on SCSW. I kinda trust my memory, but I'd like verification,

·
Premium Member
21,089 Posts
It is a typo. What Fran meant is SWCA - S&W Collector's Association. It is hosted on this forum. The SCSW is an acronym for the Standard Catalog of S&W, 4th Edition by Supica and Nahas. That is the Bible for S&W collectors and you should probably get one if you plan on collecting more.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
It is a typo. What Fran meant is SWCA - S&W Collector's Association. It is hosted on this forum. The SCSW is an acronym for the Standard Catalog of S&W, 4th Edition by Supica and Nahas. That is the Bible for S&W collectors and you should probably get one if you plan on collecting more.
Yep, my bad. SWCA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts