Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1917 that appears to be a military issue, 1917 manufacture due to the GHS inspection stamp. However, it doesn't say "United States Property" under the barrel. Does that make sense to anyone?

The serial is 34527 which matches the barrel. Some of the other one I've seen from this year had indents in the grip and either it doesn't have the concentric circle hammer or they were ground off, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any help with identification and/or valuation would also be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The concentric hammer rings were only on the earliest guns. The lack of a US property roll mark on the barrel could denote a replacement. Or it simply may have been omitted during production. Is there a matching serial number on the bottom flat of the barrel?

John

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Hey 007,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of a great looking 1917 ........... on your first post!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I do not see any of the supplemental marks which would indicate a factory replacement. The grips look a little too nice. remove them and see if there is a open five pointed star and a year/month stamp hiding under them. E.g. * 3.21 or similar, on the grip frame. That would also indicate factory work. Also see if the serial appears inside the left grip panel.

·
Super Moderator
33,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Looks like a nice model 1917!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nice looking revolver. I would be happy to have that one. 1917s are a study just by themselves. The serial number on yours is from 1918. (This website suggests March. U.S. Military Dates of Manufacture ) By that time the concentric rings on the hammer had been discontinued at the request of the Military. March was still when S&W had control of the factory, prior to the Government taking over production. I have no answer why the “US PROPERTY Mark is missing from the barrel. Possibly a replacement but if so, done after the contract expired as there is no acceptance mark on the flat.

As I said, nice looking revolver. If you plan to shoot it, it works best with hardball, 230 grain jacketed RN at 850 fps. Cast lead bullets work but the must be cast harder to grab the shallow rifling. My normal alloy is 20-1 or softer but in my ACP revolvers I harden them to about 15-1.

Best of luck. If you have questions, ask! We are a friendly bunch.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The grips are modern replacements. Otherwise, a very nice military 1917!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Looks like a very nice original 1917 military issue with replaced grips. It may also have been refinished but a nice job as far as I can see from the photo. The lanyard ring should be color case hardened.

The missing US Property under the barrel is no mystery and not very common. But in the rush of wartime production it happened. Yours is not the only one we've seen.

Its production was way too late for the concentric grooved hammer and dished grips: both ended about #15XXX with only sporadic sightings after that.

Congrats,
Jim

·
Registered
24,396 Posts
Just came across this thread and just want to also say you have a beautiful example of a 1917. Oh...and welcome to the forum.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts