Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I acquired this pistol along with a k-22 and was looking for any information regarding date range and approximate value. Here are some attached photos, all appears original. Due to age, the pistol no longer fits in the box (it appears that box may have gotten wet at some point).

Serial number is k 2927**

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More photos... everything appears original and it feels quite smooth in regards to function and operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try placing the gun diagonally in the box.

1957 production.

Just before Smith started stamping them as Model -14
on the frame inside the cylinder yoke.

Personally, I think you could get $600 or more for
it with the right buyer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I played tetris with it for a while. I'm fairly confident the box shrunk a tad from previous damage. It is definitely the right box... but to make it fit, would be to tight for my comfort.

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
Nice six inch pre 14 (corrected). K292766 should have been made about July 1957 just before they switched over to model numbers.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Nice six inch pre 15. K292766 should have been made about July 1957 just before they switched over to model numbers.
With a heavy 6 inch barrel, and patridge front sight, why is it a Pre 15 and not a pre 14, or did the pre 14 have a tapered barrel? I get confused as to what makes a gun a pre 14 or 15 when it has a 6 inch barrel

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's a beautiful example of one of the finest revolvers ever produced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any further opinions on the actual model and value? I'm going to list the pistol and want to get the details right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after doing some digging, this is a 4 screw pre 14 from what I can find. It lines up to have been made in 1957 from what I can tell. The 4 screw was only made for 1-2 years to my knowledge.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Yep, the 4 screw didn't last long before they went to a 3 screw configuration. Also a non model marked 4 screw would be less common then a non model marked 5 screw since the 4 screw was only made a couple years, and the change wasn't made until after they started stamping model numbers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts