Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought a revolver some years back, I'm fairly certain that it is pre wwII it is for sure a 38 short. 6"barrel, and nickle finish. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It has a serial# on the bottom of the handle. And the handle is square. The same# can be found under the quick release push rod when barrel is ejected. There are also engravings on the top of the barrel but are too warn to make out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Well... what you have is a Military and Police (M&P) model of 1905, that has been refinished... nickel plated.

The reason why you can't read that barrel markings is they have been buffed (polished) away, just like the S&W logo on the side plate, and the "Smith & Wesson" on the barrel, for the gun to be plated. The hammer and trigger were color case hardened, but those have been buffed and plated over.

The stamp on the left side of the frame is likely an importer stamp, which means the gun could be one of the guns made for the British and chambered in 38/200.

Many such guns were imported back to the US after war. The M&P model of 1905, went through a number of engineering improvements (changes), If you post the serial number, we can narrow down which version you have... a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th change gun and time period of the gun.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
OK... That "V" in the serial number nails down the identification. What you have is a Victory model of the M&P revolver, made for the British in WWII and the US Military. The hole is for a lanyard ring.

Here's a great article on them: S&W .38 M&P Victory Revolver

If this is one of the British guns brought back, it was common for the Victory models to be re-chambered from the 38/200 to .38 Special, but yours could still have the original shorter chamber. That needs to be checked out if you plan to shoot it.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your help. Pretty cool piece of history. Would you say it's in good condition? It's fully functional.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Thank you for your help. Pretty cool piece of history. Would you say it's in good condition? It's fully functional.
Well... it's what we would call "shooter grade", fully functional, but cosmetically challenged. Is it in good condition? Well, everything considered... it's age and the nickel refinish, it's in good shape for a "shooter". It no longer has any collector value. It's an all around use gun that can be use without being concerned about hurting the value from being scratced, dinged, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What would you value it at in its current form. Only curious to see if I paid to much. Thanks. I paid 300.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Well, I got this renickeled M&P a few years ago for $150. Yours should be around that.

Yes, .38 S&W, (NOT .38 Special) is correct for your gun.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
Is this the correct ammunition
What would you value it at in its current form. Only curious to see if I paid to much. Thanks. I paid 300.
I would say if you bought it a few years ago, you probably paid a bit too much at $300. If you were to sell it in todays market I wouldnt be surprised at all if you could get $375.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts