Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the early 1980s when Smith & Wesson announced that they were discontinuing their leather line the owner of the local gun shop where I worked part time happened to be on a buying trip and was visiting a major distributer. S&W had been tying their holsters to the allotment of S&W revolvers and pistols. Everyone wanted S&W Revolvers and Pistols but not so much S&W holsters. This distributer was willing to play the game and bought the required S&W Holsters to get a bigger allotment of handguns. He now had several thousand S&W holsters which were obsolete because of the S&W decision to get out of the holster business. He offered His entire inventory of S&W Holsters to my boss at a very very low price. My boss was able to raise the required money and several thousand Smith & Wesson Holsters were sent to his gun store. The Vast majority was "Jordan Style" Black 4" Kframe police holsters which we sold for $12.95 each for the next 20+ years. There were a variety other holsters we sold for the $12.95 also then the word was out. "If you want a holster at a bargain price come see us."

The problem for me was that having so many S&W holsters available I tended to think of S&W Holsters as cheap even though they were really fine holsters. I bought and sold a number of them over the years but did not keep many and when I thought of holsters I wanted the better brands which were not really that much better. below is a S&W model22 size 34 Weave. A really good holster.

standard.jpg

Model Black 34 Size 34 S&W holster

standard.jpg <strike></strike>

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts
i have a pretty good pile of them - good holsters for the most part.

swbox.jpg

some of my favorites -

a style B36 26 holding a 6" model 28-2

Swivel_holster_small1.jpg
Swivel_holster_small.jpg

and a style 22 62W holding a model 36
the 22 is a lined holster offered in black or brown, and plain / basket weave / flower carved finish

bbq_01_small.jpg

one of the S&W leather catalogs is very useful in decoding the holsters on the secondary market..
but, i always wondered - real LEO or models? nbhaof

Holster_008.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I started in LE in 1978 I was issued a S&W Border Patrol holster for my M19. Good solid holster too bad they were behind the times and didn't offer a thumb break design. I switched to a Safariland Thumb break Border Patrol about a year later. I still have and still occasionally use an S&W Upside down shoulder holster for a J frame. Good solid design especially considering it's still usable after 40 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those are some nice looking holsters. Looks like S&W made some quality leather. I really like blazermark’s with the model 28. I’m looking for something like that for my 6 inch hp I just bought.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lately as I look over my leather holsters I am seeing a few That I forgot that I had. I found this S&W model 02 size 62 in a box.

standard.jpg

My modified 38/44 Outdoorsman looks great in this S&W model 04 size 24 holster.

standard.jpg

This Basket weave S&W model 04 size 72 holster has the retainer strap go around the back of the trigger guard for the hammerless 2" J frame revolvers like the models 38, 40, 42, and 49 S&W revolvers. The revolver is my pre 40.

standard.jpg

Unfortunately I let the 2 model 04s get away from me. But when I got a chance to buy this Carved S&W model 11 size 39 holster. I jumped on it for my model 39-2 nickel Semi Auto.

standard.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
And S&W holsters live on today as the Gould & Goodrich brand, who bought the line from S&W.

I think S&W holsters are under rated and unappreciated.

This vintage retention holster was probably considered an innovation in it's time. It has a swivel mechanism that can be either be left unlocked to allow the holster to freely pivot or tightened down to fix the holster in a variety canted positions. The false strap over the trigger guard is fixed, the real release is on the hammer strap.

AMU 34 #5.jpg

AMU 34 #4.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
i have a pretty good pile of them - good holsters for the most part.

but, i always wondered - real LEO or models? nbhaof

View attachment 363831
One thing for sure... the way they posed the guys on the left, it looks suspect.... and the guy on the right, with his back turned to them.. as if he's saying "I want no part of that"....

Yeah... it's a slow day for me, so the mind wanders into strange venues :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Probably one of the last Smith & Wesson Holster designs was this B501 Revolver Safety Holster Pat. # 3,942,692. It was one of the holsters that my Police Department allowed but this is the only one that I have see by SMITH & WESSON Leather every other one I have seen was made by their successor.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Another S&W Holster for a S&W 29-3 was probably one of the last of the S&W series made before S&W gave up the S&W brand Holsters.

standard.jpg

I have various shoulder holsters by several different manufacturers but my favorite is this S&W model 45 size 36. It works very well with the K Masterpiece series revolvers.

standard.jpg <strike></strike>

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I walked into my Local Gun Shop today. They have a box of junk / wonderful stuff which I always check out. Today there was a Smith & Wesson Holster model 29 size 32 (2" K Frame) in the box. It went home with me of course.

standard.jpg

The top picture has a Model 19 3" barrel that just barely is visible sticking through the bottom so it would work well with a 2 1/2" K frame.

standard.jpg

The second picture has a 2" barrel model 15.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again I walked into an out of state gun shop and discovered this SMITH & WESSON model 22 size 36 Basket Weave holster for $15 plus tax. I really did not need another size 36 S&W holster but it looked so nice and they do not make them any more. Of course it had to come home with me.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts