Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 22 combat masterpiece pre model 18, 4" barrel, 5 screw in better than 95% condition with correct grips. The grips "appear" to have a courser than normal checkering. No box or anything, just the gun. Doesn't look to have been fired much at all. Ser# K 176XXX
The guy wants $700 for it.

Is that a fair price?
When approx. was it made?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was shipped in 1953.
I think the price is on the high side, but he will probably get it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
For comparison I got this one (1952) two years ago for $450. and would rate it @85% as it's been carried and used.
I think $700 is too high, $500-$600 would be more realistic for me. But as diamonback68 said he might get it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
$700.00 is a little steep, but I think the fifties produced some very nice Smith's. Were it me, I might offer 575 or 600. What can you lose?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I read this thread yesterday. Sounds like you really want one of these or an 18. After thinking this over, my advice is to walk away. Its not a rare gun, the issue is getting someone that has one to part with it. If you're as patient as a fisherman, another will come along and it'll be a much better price. In a few years probably the going price for one of these will be $700, but it isn't right now, and $150-200 (the amount I think it's overpriced) will buy you a significant amount of ammo for it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I agree with Geoff40 Go surf around in a couple gun sites like gunsofamerica.com or gunsinternational.com and you will see its over priced.I would like to have one myself and have been keeping a eye on there prices.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The pre-18's have a tendency to have been used more (and harder) than do their 'Target' cousins.
There is a serious difference in a 'better than 95%' pre-18 and the more-prevalent, 85-90% specimens.
The better-than-average guns are $ 400-$500 guns, and there are, as Geoff indicated, many of them.
Prices of two years ago have no relevance in today's market.
If the gun's at a real 98% or better, it's probably worth the $ 700.
Never pass a truly outstanding gun, unless you'll be happy with the lower-priced, lower-condition example. ;)
The gun below, from 1950, was a $ 450 gun in 2006.
It sold in late 2007 for $ 600.
Condition was 98%
Don

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I concur.

This is not a particularly early or rare gun.

Sounds nice and I'd probably ad it to my collection of pre-17's and pre-18's but only if I could pay around $450 OTD for it.

A few years ago I bought this NIB pair from a private person and didn't pay much more for both than the price your selling is asking for his gun.

Unless the money doesn't mean anything to you, I'd say negotiate or pass.

Drew

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I picked up a Model 18 at the first part of the year. Its been used but not abused, and picked her up for 350.00. They are not rare guns, you just don't see many for sale, because most folks who have them know what they have and don't want to let them go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went back and tried to deal a little bit with him and he didn't budge. So I decided to pass being it was over priced even though it was nice.

I will just wait and hope to see one of the few stainless model 17's Smith made and go for broke, since I really like stainless guns.

Thanks for all the advice and input. You are a great bunch of guys.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts