Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got real lucky about three weeks ago and found a 625 three inch in .45 acp. What a shooter and tack driver. Also get luckier and found a set of Spegel N-Frame boot grips on this forum.

Will get a few pictures in day or two.

Anyway, the question, 2 1/5 inch or 3 inch? I prefer the 3 over the 2 1/2 in most compact revolvers. Anyone else. I seem to get better burn from the loads and a bit less muzzle flip due to the addition of the 1/2 inch of steel on the barrel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Definitely 3"

3" Lew Horton 29-3

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 3" is the best all round length for a carry gun. Long enough for good velocity and sighting, short enough to hide easily. Plus they just look cool.

Huntin' a whole nutter story!

·
Registered
14 Posts
By the way Jose, what kind of grips are those? They're beautiful.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Kim Ahrends' cocobolo round butt combats with finger grooves (he makes them without as well).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Glad you like the Spegals,

I have both a 3 and 4 inch 625. The 3 is about as big as I can comfortably carry. It rides real good in a Milt Sparks PMK. Am a fan of 3 inch revolvers, J frame I carry often is a 3 inch. That little bit more pays big dividends in performance. Have a couple of short K Frames too. M-10 2 inch is not as good a performer as a 19 2-1/2 in IDPA matches. Probably as much due to more weight and better sights as the longer barrel.

The 4 used to be a 5 but switched the barrel to meet IDPA rules. The 3 inch I load just a bit different than the 4. Since I don't use it for matches that require a power factor with the shorter barrel use 200 gr Lead flat nose. 4 have to make 165,000 (velocity x bullet weight) so use 230's

Both bullets same powder charge 4.0 of Hogden Clays. Felt recoil with the 200's is less and the shorter revolver is a little more controllable with the lighter bullet. I have found looking for velocity with either gun is not the way to go, too much muzzle flash and unburned powder. Better to get performance with bullet weight. There are a few quirks to moonclippers If you want some tips send me a PM. Or can post in the reloading section

Boats

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thought I'd post up a 625-3. I think the 45acp in a revolver has the same following as the 44spl , you either like 'em or you don't.

Fast reloads and a cal. that starts with 4. What's not to like.
kfjdrfirii
GGF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts