Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have one? I'm thinking of buying the 5" barrel version. Good idea or not?

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
I've had one and commented on here before but I have the 460 XVR Performance Shop long barrel with the blow back brake on it, the one with the built in scope and bi-pod rails (Picatinny). I hunt with it, deer mostly. I mounted an older (Japanese Burris with LOE Glass), 2-6 x and I only shoot handloads, Starline brass with either 250 grain .452 Hornady hollow points or 300 grain A frames.

My only comments are, don't assume it's good to shoot 45''s in it. You'll carbon up the chambers and have issues loading 460 brass down the road. I only shoot 460's, nothing else. Recoil is very manageable, less that a 44RM smith actually and the performance center trigger is excellent in single action. Not so great in double action, trigger pull in double is at least 15 pounds, single is 3 pounds, I measured single with my Lyman pull gauge.

You'll get a lot of blowby between the cylinder face and the forcing cone, nature of the beast I guess. I leave the cylinder face black now, used to clean it. Looks better black anyway, contrasts nice with the polished stainless frame.

Nice but heavy piece like all X frames are. It weight more than my hunting rifles do.

MV on mine with full house handloads and .452 Hornady's is 2650 muzzle. Good to 100 yards plus, but the pill weight causes substantial bullet drop past 150 or so.

I load mine using the Hornady reloading book and the Hornady 4 piece die set bit I don't use the Hornady crimp feature. I use a Lee Collet Crimp die to crimp the necks.

Because of the aggressive crimp, the cases tend to neck crack after a couple loadings (like a 44RM will, so I anneal the necks on them (and the 44's) as well in my Annealeze annealer. Eliminating the neck issue and the brass will survive many reloads or until the primer pockets loose their tension.

Finally, I use Federal LR match primers.

For hunting, I carry mine in a ballistic nylon cross draw holster carried outside my camo.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
I had a Taurus Ragging Bull in 454. Notice and note the "had". It was fine with 240 and 260 grain bullets but the 300 grain Slugs Of Disaster, loaded below max, were anything but fun. If,,, if someone built a lever gun in 460, 16 inch barrel, I would consider it.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
454 Causall and a 460 are different animals entirely and the business end is different as well. You handload a slow burning propellant and the recoil is pretty tame.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Reactions: sparkyv

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all. I appreciate the info. I'm going to order it tomorrow from my favorite LGS.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Carl, I was going to ask you "what are you going to do with it"?

But... you've made a decision. Enjoy it! It's a handful.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 460V 5" is just right for me. The blowback and ridiculously loud report are a drawback, but the recoil is quite manageable because of the large mass of the X-frame. I dislike the compensator. But I get a real thrill shooting it; it's a blast, literally and figuratively! :ROFLMAO: I hope you enjoy yours, carl418.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
My big Cahuna is pretty typical of a blowback compensated piece. Back wash is bad and you certainly need good ear protection. I wear my Walkers Game Ears when I shoot mine, the give the best DB attenuation of any.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Carl, I was going to ask you "what are you going to do with it"?

But... you've made a decision. Enjoy it! It's a handful.
No, it's not Mark. It's really tame compared to say a 44RM. Recoil is entirely dependent on what you send down the tube...

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it's not Mark. It's really tame compared to say a 44RM. Recoil is entirely dependent on what you send down the tube...
That's what I've read elsewhere. Shooting 45 Colt or even 454 should be relatively tame.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
That's what I've read elsewhere. Shooting 45 Colt or even 454 should be relatively tame.
I would advise against it Carl. Reason being is repeated firings of shorter cases causes carbon buildup in the end of the chamber. So long as your are diligent about cleaning it, no issue but if you aren't, I'd advise against it. Just handload some with a less that maximum charge and send 250's not 300's.

The Hornady 452 flex tip factory stuff is tame and a nice way to get acquainted with the piece and the brass is reloadable too. Not quite Starline quality but close.

In all actuality, my good friend who is 75 years old shoots mine one handed with 250's all the time. he really likes it too. The weight of the X frame eats up a lot of the felt recoil and unlike my 44RM, there is little to no muzzle climb.

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Hornady flex tip 250 grain is exactly what I'm going with, at least initially. See, great minds do think alike!

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
The Hornady flex tip 250 grain is exactly what I'm going with, at least initially. See, great minds do think alike!
Actually, it's a good hunting round for hogs and medium game. The flex tip has reliable expansion and the rounds are readily available. Swift A Frames are better at expansion and penetration but I don't believe you can get them in factory loads (maybe you can 'limited availability; because Swift was going to build commercially available rounds at one time), not sure if they did however.

The Hornady HPFB's are available in bullet only boxes but interestingly, the Hornady FBFT's are only available in loaded rounds. Just make sure if (when) you handload, that you buy .452 diameter bullets, not 45 caliber (.450). The 460 bore is .452. I inquired at Hornady (Grand Island, Nebraska) about them offering the FBFT's in bulk bullet boxes bit never got an answer.

If you do handload, I'd suggest the Hornady 4 die .452 set but like I said before, I use a Lee Collet crimper to set the crimp, not the Hornady crimp die. They take a very aggressive crimp to keep from setting back the pill in the case so brass life gets short, why I anneal the mouths which isn't a normal procedure and I don't recommend it, even though I do it. I built a special annealing setup for my Annealeze just for the 460 cases.

Great hunting guns and bear guns so long as you load them with recoil and concussion in mind. It's a powerful cartridge in a stout gun. Always wanted a DE in .50 but the 460 is a viable replacement for me with manageable recoil. The other 'nice' thing about the 460 is it's a legal hunting cartridge here in the restricted zone. The 500 case is too long.

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's funny you should say that because one of the reasons I want this is to go hog hunting. I've heard from several sources that this revolver is perfect for the job. And it's something I've wanted to get into for a while. And I ain't getting any younger...

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Wild hogs are on my bucket list as well, but I'd prefer a helo hunt with AR's with fun levers. One of the guys I hunt with, his BIL has a place in Florida and does Helo hunts. I may do that when this Covid deal runs it's course. I could do the 460 on the ground too. Something about gunning down a running hog with a zipper trail of 223 HP's is interesting to me. Making the dotted line to the hog...

I have a pretty tricked out 22-250 Remington bolt gun with an ATN night scope too. One needs lots of tools. The ATN I own is the one that puts you on the government hit list. It's wicked.

This fall, I'll be using the drone for scouting deer.

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked it up today and shot it. The 460 ammo I ordered didn't arrive in time and the gun store didn't have any either so I shot some hot 45 Colt that I usually save for a Marlin 1894 I have. The stories are true; it's loud and that was just with 45 Colt. But hardly any recoil. I can hardly wait to load some 460s..

By the way, the other revolver is a 4" 629. It's like a K frame next to an N frame. It's bigger everywhere you look.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Carl, just be sure to clean the chambers carefully, especially the business ends. I suggest a brass bore brush and No.9 or BTE and a nylon bore brush (what I use). I like BTE, it removes all the crud but you have to use a nylon bore brush with it. BTE will give a brass bore brush an immediate haircut.

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Daryl, I'm looking at that Lee collet crimp die and I noticed it isn't carbide. Do you have to use lube in some manner?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts