Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to your forum. I am an FFL Dealer and I have sold a lot of S&W firearms. Recently a local guy that I know brought in the .44 Special with a story. I talked to several others in the family that verified the story. So far, everyone is telling the same story and here it is. Way back in the day (early 1900's I would suppose) S&W supposedly made sets of these firearms and gave them to the governors across this great land. So 50 pairs to 50 governors. The Arkansas Governor who received them was Joseph Taylor Robinson who resigned in March 8, 1913 to go to the US Senate. Some time afterward he gave the guns to a Lonoke City Mayor who was named George C. Bailey at some point. Again, I have no idea how accurate the pieces of this story are I am just relating them. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Serial number for the firearm I have is 6979.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,022 Posts
That serial number, from what I can find, dates it to 1910; normal configuration is a 6-1/2" barrel; premium for different lengths and nickel finish.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Hey Spare Change,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of a "storied" ol' 44! On your first post!

Bet it still shoots just fine!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
5" TL with a dodgy finish. Pearls are aftermarket. Maybe $1500 in todays inflated market. I agree with the above, buy the gun, not the story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.