Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The serial number would be needed to nail down when it was produced exactly. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame. The revolver you have is most likely a Pre WW2, 38 Military & Police model, also known as the model of 1905. The grips are aftermarket. It is in very nice shape

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
We need some more info. Caliber, s/n (first four numbers and a prefix if any) would be a good start. Just glancing at it it might be a .38M&P from the 1930's. Looks to be a six inch barrel.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,965 Posts
looks very nice ! grips are aftermarket, but everything else on the gun looks right. a M&P (military and police ) model in 38 special..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. The serial number would be needed to nail down when it was produced exactly. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame. The revolver you have is most likely a Pre WW2, 38 Military & Police model, also known as the model of 1905. The grips are aftermarket. It is in very nice shape
Serial number is 926540

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
That would put it in early 1942. Good shape.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Hey, K22. Would a polished & blued (commercial model) M&P from early 42 be somewhat unusual by that date because of the war?
Yes indeed. I was quite surprised by the s/n. Mr. Jinks said in a letter that after s/n 690,000 S&W's generally were supplied to WWII efforts. But from everything I have read S&W is never consistent. If it was mine I would be sending in a letter.

Reactions: Cliff and jeepnut

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Yes indeed. I was quite surprised by the s/n. Mr. Jinks said in a letter that after s/n 690,000 S&W's generally were supplied to WWII efforts. But from everything I have read S&W is never consistent. If it was mine I would be sending in a letter.
I would think at that point in time you would have to be in law enforcement or somebody with some pull to get a commercial model

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
I did see where s/n 9123xx, a commercial shipment, occurred 4/1942.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Serial number is 926540
Is there any kind of letter prefix with that number, maybe an S?

The gun looks nice and original, but as the others have mentioned, with a serial 926540, an M&P with a polished blue finish and 6” barrel would be very unusual. Is there a plugged lanyard hole in the butt? After about mid-1941, even commercial M&P’s seem to have all shipped with the swivel to simplify production. I don’t think ANY examples are known from 1942 with a centered butt serial.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any kind of letter prefix with that number, maybe an S?

The gun looks nice and original, but as the others have mentioned, with a serial 926540, an M&P with a polished blue finish and 6” barrel would be very unusual. Is there a plugged lanyard hole in the butt? After about mid-1941, even commercial M&P’s seem to have all shipped with the swivel to simplify production. I don’t think ANY examples are known from 1942 with a centered butt serial.
I just noticed this reply. Where would I find this lanyard hole in the butt?

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
It would be centered on the butt flat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts