Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am inheriting from my dad a Smith & Wesson 32 Long CTG. I would like to know the Model and when it was made. Top of the barrel is marked “SMITH & WESSON, SPRINGFIELD, MASS. U.S.A. PAT’D MAR. 27, 94 / AUG. 4. 96. DEC. 22. 96. OCT. 8. 01. DEC. 17. 01, FEB. 6, 06, SEP. 14, 09.”. Side of Barrel maked 32 Long CTG. Serial number 1814xx. I found another number when the cylinder is opened 3886. Not sure if the grips are original. Any information on this Revolver would help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
very nice - a target model in pretty nice shape. The actual serial number would be on the bottom of the grip frame covered by those grips.
hard to see in the pics, but grips appear to be plastic/replacements.. the orig gips would be similar, but in walnut with a gold medalion..

by the serial # 1814xx, it would be a 32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 - 5th change.
these were made in the 1910 -1917 window with this # in the middle of the range..

since it is a target version - it has a premium value to a collector - unfortunately, the replacement grips take away.
nice orginial grips of this style run 300 +/-

In general, the 32 hand ejectors of this period run in the 300/500 range and are often found in excellent condition. Id expect a nice original target version to be double that..

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts

From the 1916 S&W Catalog... note comment at the bottom concerning target sights.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
This is the gun that the 22/32 Heavy Frame Target was based on. Back in the day competitive shooters were thrilled to get a .22 caliber handgun built on such a large frame. Now you need the .22 to compliment your fine .32.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Do you know what the number 3886 means? Found that number when I opened the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
depends on where the number is.

In this time frame, a serial # would (primarily) be found on the grip frame bottom, the face of the cylinder, and the barrel flat. That ties the frame, barrel, cylinder as original factory.

In addition, most grips were marked with the gun's serial number on one panel - starting with pencil, and then stampings.

numbers found on the frame/crane (when you open the cylinder) and on the inside of the butt frame are typically just assenbly numbers used to keep fitted parts together during manufacturing.
They dont really have any meaning out side of that..

Over time, the serial #'s were moved/eliminated/added but the one on the frame bottom is consistenly the 'official' one for S&W products.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
based in your given serial number, it's a fairly early .32 Hand Ejector 4th change. The grips are aftermarket.
Being a target gun, it's a valuable piece.

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts