Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Some time ago i bought at auction a nice Smith & Wesson model 28-2 with a 8 & 3/8" barrel. I know from the S&W Books that less than 100 were produced in that Barrel Length so the chance it is being factory Original is low and Mr R G Jinks will provide a letter for $90.00. My gun serial N118XXX with Target grips and barrel marked 38/357 magnum.
My question is this does anyone know if S&W produced less than 100 8 & 3/8" barrels specifically for the 28 with the Non Serrations as the 4 & 6" barrels or did they use Model 27 8&3/8 barrels with serrations Thanks

View attachment 506099 View attachment 506102 View attachment 506103 View attachment 506098

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Does it say Highway Patrolman on the barrel? I would guess they would have used a non serrated like on the other model 28's. The m28 was a budget version of the m27 and part of the cost cutting on that model was not having to machine the top of the barrel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it say Highway Patrolman on the barrel? I would guess they would have used a non serrated like on the other model 28's. The m28 was a budget version of the m27 and part of the cost cutting on that model was not having to machine the top of the barrel
No It says Smith & Wesson on the side of the barrel, The sme as my 28-2 4" & 6"My thoughts are for 100 guns would S&W manufacture a small number when they have 27 8&3/8 barrels in stock already. Neither Jink's book or the S&W catalogue have any information

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
The finish is another telltale... the M28 factory finish was a matte blue, what S&W called "brush blue". Your gun looks to have a high gloss blue like a M-27.

The other possible explanation, and it's not unheard of, is the model stamp is a mistake, and it should have been a M27-2. As Jonesy814 mentions, the top strap, rear sight and barrel rib of a M28 were smooth plain Jane's, where the the M27 were fancied up with checkering.

What does yours look like?

Reactions: 1911 and Curt360

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The finish is another telltale... the M28 factory finish was a matte blue, what S&W called "brush blue". Your gun looks to have a high gloss blue like a M-27.

The other possible explanation, and it's not unheard of, is the model stamp is a mistake, and it should have been a M27-2. As Jonesy814 mentions, the top strap, rear sight and barrel rib of a M28 were smooth plain Jane's, where the the M27 were fancied up with checkering.

What does yours look like?
Well Only The Barrel has Serrations and the Frame is a standard 28 with Matte Bluing Not High Gloss bluing and no serrations. I have eight 27s ,4 Pre Models,1 each 27,27-1 & two 27-2 to view ?

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I reread the part in the SCSW on the model 28. In my 3rd edition there is a picture of one of the 8 3/8 inch barreled model 28's. It has a ramp front sight like the 4 and 6 inch. The description of an unserrated barrel and ramp front sight does not say "except for the 8 3?8" barrel so I would assume that description is for all variants. I suppose it could be factory, but I doubt it. The model 28 was probably the cheapest N frame and was popular as a base to modify because of that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did not see (or did not Look) In my 4th ed at that photo. I have never seen a *&3/8" with a ramp front sight. So S&W did make a special barrel for the 8&3/8 guns so mine is a Gunsmith Special. Maybe the gun had a re blueing after rebarreling, but with a Dull Finish I thought it original? Thank you for pointing that out

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,823 Posts
George,
You will convince me with several more good pictures of your gun. The pictures that you posted are not a Model 28 with a 8 3/8" barrel. It is two guns with no relationship to a Model 28. It is a 27-2-screw gun with modern stocks.

Please show the serial number on the cylinder, barrel, and the ejection rod.

I can check with Roy on the authentic parts of the gun.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Yes I did not see (or did not Look) In my 4th ed at that photo. I have never seen a *&3/8" with a ramp front sight. So S&W did make a special barrel for the 8&3/8 guns so mine is a Gunsmith Special. Maybe the gun had a re blueing after rebarreling, but with a Dull Finish I thought it original? Thank you for pointing that out
Forum member Curt360 has a model 28 that was refinished. Whoever did it, did it correctly with the satin blued gun with matte blued top strap/barrel rib, just like the factory did them

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
George,
You will convince me with several more good pictures of your gun. The pictures that you posted are not a Model 28 with a 8 3/8" barrel. It is two guns with no relationship to a Model 28. It is a 27-2-screw gun with modern stocks.

Please show the serial number on the cylinder, barrel, and the ejection rod.

I can check with Roy on the authentic parts of the gun.
Hey 1911 The 4 photos posted are of the gun in question. Which I now know to be a Model 28 frame, The first photo shows the Top of frame NO SERRATIONS, The Adj Sights NO SERRATIONS and Possibly a Mod 27 8&3/8" Barrel with Serrations. Yes it has Target Stocks. Later today or tomorrow I will photo it alongside either my 6" or the 4" to see the Blueing

·
Premium Member
19,968 Posts
George, if the barrel is not stamped on the right side Highway Patrolman and the rib is serrated, it is not an original barrel. It is without a doubt a Model 27 barrel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
George, if the barrel is not stamped on the right side Highway Patrolman and the rib is serrated, it is not an original barrel. It is without a doubt a Model 27 barrel.
Hi Guy We decided 2 post ago that the gun is a Gunsmith modified gun Jonesy814 pointed out that the SCS&W 3rd & 4th editions have a photo with the 28 8&3/8". The photo shows a Ramp Foresight
By the way not all 28s have the "Highway Patrolman" on the barrel. My 6" 28-2 manufactured 1979/80 does not, it has Smith & Wesson. I tried to do a photo for you but I am no photographer George.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts