Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SN on grip is K 242xxx.

I'd like to find out what I have and what kind of grips I should be looking for.
The revolver came with a smaller set of S&W checkered walnut grips but I'd prefer the full-size target grips.
Because the SN starts with the K I think it's a K-frame square butt revolver but the grips from my model 28 don't fit right. They fit onto the frame properly but there's a gap at the bottom between the butt and the wraparound of the grips and at the top where the web of your hand fits, the grips are larger than the frame.

Some little research on my part makes me think it's a K-22 Masterpiece or something similar but there are no markings on the gun stating that fact.

Can someone help?

·
Premium Member
12,308 Posts
The Model 28 is an "N" frame. K frame grips won't fit on an N frame. What is the caliber marking on the barrel of the revolver?

Does it say .22 long rifle?

That s/n would indicate the gun shipped late 1955 or till mid 1956.

This is a K-22 Masterpiece

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun was made in 1955 and is a target revolver. IF it is a .22 then it is a K-22 Masterpiece. If it is a .38 is it s a K-38 Masterpiece. If it is a 4" barrel it is a K-38 Combat Masterpiece.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it exactly! Using a high-tech precision ruler I got free from the fire department during fire prevention week the barrel measures out at 5-7/8"

So, I have a K-22 Masterpiece. It appears to be in fantastic shape but I'd prefer the larger grips. N-frame grips you say? I'll start looking.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder why I never received any emails indicating there were responses to my post. At the top there's an 'unfollow' button so I assume I'm supposed to and my settings indicate I should be receiving emails alerts but nothing in my inbox, my spam folder, or my junk email folder.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
That's it exactly! Using a high-tech precision ruler I got free from the fire department during fire prevention week the barrel measures out at 5-7/8"

So, I have a K-22 Masterpiece. It appears to be in fantastic shape but I'd prefer the larger grips. N-frame grips you say? I'll start looking.

Thank you. :)
No. You want K frame Target grips.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts