Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with this shotgun? Im thinking of buying one, and what is a good price range for it? Is there any other shotgun that you recommend? thanks!! (A friend of mine wants to sell me his for $100)!! thanks

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
I had one that I shot alot of quail with back in the early 80s. I do not miss the gun. I do miss having a viable excuse for missing birds.
IMO, save your money

Reactions: DocZeus

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Had one, got rid of it. Only one slide rail , mine kept binding. $100.00 if it's in like-new condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have one an its a gud gun but it do have some kick in it dats no one likes it i been had mines for 10 years an will buy another one these everyone wants a little girl gun when i point minds at something i hit it everytime an minds is full choke an i use 3 inch 000 in minds so it kick real hard it dont jam up an if u in a jam an need to depend ur life on one trust me wont nothin get back up in front of it if u pull the trigger

·
Registered
19,639 Posts
Well.......that, just about says it all! For $100, it's better than a single shot. If you're willing to spend some money....get the 870! Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brother recently purchased the S & W 916-A from a friend for $100, and aside from a few spots of surface rust on the barrel it is in excellect condition. Moreover, I have read all of the comments on here and disagree with the gun being "junk," as we just took it to the range yesterday: it performed perfectly, and from 25 yards was putting pellets in the bullseye of targets used for turkey shoots. Furthermore, I just checked another site where the same gun (all the blueing was sanded off, the wooden pump was cracked, and someone had shortened the barrel by at least a foot: it was beat to death) sold in an auction for $140.01 + $35 USPS + $7.25 sales tax; which, comes out to roughly $180 for one that was in what they auction house termed "poor condition." In my opinion, if you can get the 916-A for $100 (in good condition) I would personally snatch it up. They do have a kick to them, especially with the 3" shells, but I personally think any S & W pump shotgun in good condition is worth $100. In fact, in this economy, the only safe investments are basically brand name firearms and precious metals (i.e. Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.).
BigBob

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
I had one I bought at a gunshow for $150. I did have some irritating feed issues when pumping fast (target clays), but that seemed to clear up after I soaked the mechanics in ATF (transmission fluid) for a couple weeks as part of a through cleanup. I never shot it after that, but could not get it to fail when pumping/extracting live rounds for a test. I gave it to a close friend who has become more a family member now, he's proud as a peacock with it! For $100 bucks I'd pop for one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are total junk, I tried one a friend of mine had, gave him $150.00 for it, two weeks later sold it back to him for $80.00 and was tickled
to death he bought it. Buy a 870 or even a mossberg 500.
Glen

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Can anyone help me out with this shotgun? Im thinking of buying one, and what is a good price range for it? Is there any other shotgun that you recommend? thanks!! (A friend of mine wants to sell me his for $100)!! thanks
I would say either a Mossberg or a Remington. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of aftermarket items for these two makes, and you can buy one gun, but have a total of three barrels for quite a range of functions. JMHO.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
It's absolutely AMAZING how many firearms one can acquire for a dirt-cheap price, from somebody they work with, that sells on a whim, or needs some quick cash.

"Buy 'Em Cheap, Stack 'Em Deep". :D :D :D

DocZeus
AKA
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little late on the post and new to the forum, but had to chime in about my Eastfield 916-a 12 ga. I bought mine at a pawn shop for $100. It was a little difficult to find a replacement stock for it, but I finally did. After a day of shooting clays I shaved a little off of that stock and put a 1" Remington soft recoil pad on. It's in real good condition, not too hard to disassemble, easy to clean and easy on the shoulder (now). It has functioned great working fast action on dove and sporting clays. Going on 10 years of good use it can also drop a turkey at 60 yards with a #4. It's been a good, reliable gun.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've had a couple over the years and they were decent enough shotguns, but if you want the standard for reliability get an 870. You can change them around any way that suits you and they will always work. I've bet my life on them and I'm still here.

Shorty

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a newbie, but have owned one of these S&W 12's for a dzn years or so & really like it. Like others have said at $100.00 i'd take another one or 10... I also have a Mossberg & an 870 and like them too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 1977 (i.e., 40 years ago), I received a S&W Enfield Model 916-A as a Xmas holiday gift. A local gunsmith made several requested adjustments, including a shortening of the barrel length, the addition of a modified choke, an improved fixed front sight and the fitting of a custom-made pistol grip as an occasional alternative to my firing the shotgun while utilizing the standard buttstock. I cannot provide an accurate estimate as to the aggregate numbers of times that I have fired it during the past 40 years; however, I reckon in addition to my utilizing standard buckshot loads, I have fired about 55 3-inch 00-buck magnum shells. The bottom line, at no time have I experienced any malfunctions, parts breakage or ever a need to bring it to a gunsmith for subsequent repairs. Regards to all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts