Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a retired police officer. When I retired, I purchased my model 5906 service pistol. I had heard that Smith and Wesson had a great reputation in honoring it's "Lifetime" warranty on pistols purchased from police departments by police officers. I received a notice from Smith and Wesson that my pistol needs an extractor, extractor spring, and ejector depressor. The total cost would be $165 and change. My department charged me less than that to purchase the pistol when I retired. Also, my department has first right of refusal to purchase the pistol, should I ever desire to sell it. They don't ever want the weapon back on the streets. I'm disappointed, to say the least, that Smith and Wesson sent me a bill for the repairs. I called S&W this morning and was told it's the individual gunsmith's call, and there was no other recourse for me. Does anyone have any advice or a contact at Smith and Wesson? If I choose not to have the repairs done, Smith and Wesson will charge a $45 diagnostic fee to ship the weapon back to me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
The current Smith and Wesson warranty is online at:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/warranty

It says it applies to the original purchaser. I do know that they have dealt with design and manufacturing defects without charge, but expect that wear issues for a secondary buyer of a used gun may not be covered in most cases.

The 5906 is a discontinued design, and parts will not always be available for it in the future. It's worth more today than you paid for it, as is the labor of a skilled gunsmith.

If you want it functioning well, you'd do best to have it repaired. The price for that work looks normal to me. If you want to ask them about special warranty support for retired law enforcement, by all means get in contact with them. Ask the armorer at the police agency you retired from if they have any contact within S&W.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Marc,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm familiar with the S&W warranty. I had also seen in forums that S&W had extended the warranty on to individual police officers. I did contact S&W this morning. I was told the cost is what it is, and that they are a business. After reading so many accounts of S&W going above and beyond on warranty work, I'm just really disappointed. Ultimately, it's just not cost effective to have the work performed. I can only sell the weapon back to my former department.

Be well,

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
My 1980 66-2 was NOT covered under warranty like I thought it was, Seems guns after 1989 or so fall under that coverage

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I would not expect S&W to fix my gun with normal wear and tear under their warranty. I would pay the money to have it fixed and enjoy shooting it for the rest of my life. I have a 5906 and love it. I am sorry you are disappointed but you do have a great gun.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I cant answer your question about the warranty but ... that seems like a very small fee to get a great old gun back to tip top shape. I wouldn't hesitate one second and have them do the work and go back to enjoying your gun. of course YMMV.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
First let me say that the price they are charging you is very fair for work done by Smith Wesson. None of the Gen 3 Autos are covered by the lifetime warranty. Since you gun was made Smith Wesson has been owned by three different companies. PangorPunta, Lear Seigler , Tompkins Toilets, etc.. Those companies never carried forth the warranty the new company. Original owner would be the LEO Department .. Your the second owner by Smith Wesson Policy.

You have a great Gun Enjoy it. It was worth the price to repair. AND you have original NEW Smith Wesson Parts.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Why are you "required" to sell it back to your department? You purchased it legally, and their right of possession ended there. It is your pistol, not theirs. Selling it back to them to keep the gun "off the streets" is a cop out. It is yours. Fix it or sell it to anybody you choose.

It's very cost effective to fix it. To replace it worth another 5906 it will cost you somewhere in the $500 neighbor hood. The way I see it is you will be hundreds of $$ ahead by having it repaired by the S&W repair dept.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Did SW send you a shipping label to send the gun to them??
Does the price quoted include shipping it back to you?

If so you you would have paid almost that much in shipping charges!

Have them fix it, it is NOT under warranty if made before 2/1/1989

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
You are the Police and Smith & Wesson ought to be as grateful to you as I am. Unfortunately "lifetime warranty" means nothing to them because they care more about profits. Many others will disagree from behind their computer but this Vet is with you brother!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You are the Police and Smith & Wesson ought to be as grateful to you as I am. Unfortunately "lifetime warranty" means nothing to them because they care more about profits. Many others will disagree from behind their computer but this Vet is with you brother!
That is BS. SW has treated me (and many others) over and beyond what most places will.

The simple matter is the gun (due to age) is not under warranty. Get over it.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
That is BS. SW has treated me (and many others) over and beyond what most places will.

The simple matter is the gun (due to age) is not under warranty. Get over it.
The simple matter is if was a Ruger and he was the 5th owner they would have fixed it with a smile, especially the popo. Get over that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
7509RET, Sorry to hear of the issues. I was able to buy my pistol when I retired, for one dollar, and no buy back restriction. But it is a G(@<k, and I don't know if I would have paid more. Over many years, I have sent guns back to S&W for this and that. The only thing S&W ever charged me for, was custom/"paid work" on a revolver. Otherwise, they always went above and beyond, even on used guns. I think they treated all customers that way. I don't recall that the fact that I was a police officer ever entered into the conversation. Obviously times have changed.

So it'll cost you 120.00 over the cost of evaluation and return shipping to have the gun repaired? If I really liked the gun, and given the less than ideal S&W 3rd. Gen parts situation today, I'd pay it. If you trust yourself, or have someone you trust, to replace the extractor,etc., 3rd. Gen parts can be found. This forum, Numrich Gun Parts Corp., Brownells,Midway, Jack First, and even Ebay might be places to inquire. I have replaced a S&W extractor or two without issue, but IIRC the factory had an armorers gauge that was supposed to be used.

If you are on good terms with your agency's current armorer, perhaps you could reach out to him? He might at least have a contact at S&W. Sometimes the customer service person one happens to contact makes all the difference as to what the factory will or will not do to help you out. Of course, depending on your department and jurisdiction, selling it back might be the simplest out.

Anyway, best of luck, whatever your decision.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a retired LEO and on a fixed income as well. But, $120.00 wouldn't stand in the way of me having my purchased duty weapon repaired so I could continue to enjoy it. Honestly, I'd pay more than that, maybe even more than a NOS one that wasn't "mine" when I was on the job.

IMO, as far as the warranty goes, asking or expecting Smith to fix a retired duty handgun for free or nearly free is like asking Ford to replace the engine in a retired Crown Vic bought at auction. I don't expect anything more than anyone else gets for my public service.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Yet again, another complaint by a new member with 1 post about SW CS.?
Still never heard from him if SW paid for the shipping to pick it up for return to the factory??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts