Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any information on the model 66 with a 5' barrel, I am interested in this model's value, and general information, I have recently inherited this firearm, and I know very little about it. Any information would be very helpful especially the value, thanks.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
My guess is that you meant a 5 INCH barrel. ;)

I'll also wager that the correct length is 6". The way to measure is from the forward face of the cylinder, not the edge of the frame.

A little more information would be a help in answering / commenting upon your gun... if indeed you measure it from the specified location and it is indeed a 5" 66 you either have a custom gun of a very rare collectible...

Snapshots would be nice... if you can't put them up, e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you....

Drew

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I could find nothing in 'The Book' about a 5" barrel. Barrel length is measured from the cylinder to the muzzle so I think you have a 6" barreled revolver. The model 66 was made from 1970 to 2004. The age and condition have great bearing on the value. A photo would help too

Drew beat me to the punch

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Open the cylinder and tell us what is written in the crane area. Just below where the ejector rod would sit when it is closed. Also, tell us what the serial number is. This will be on the bottom of the grip frame and may be obscured if there are after market grips. If so, carefully remove the grips and post the serial number. You can X out the last couple of digits if you like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, to be honest I was thinking about buying this gun from an add in the newspaper, I don't currently have it, I was trying to find out if the the asking price is fair. The seller told me that it is a modle 66-2 that has a 5 inch barel, he said that it is a rare limited production gun, I don't know the serial numbers, He is asking $450 for the gun, I have scene photos, and it is in excellent condition, however I think that he measured the barrle from the frame, he claims that he used to own a gun shop and that this is the correct way of measuring a barrle, what do you guys think, and thanks so much for the helpful info!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The barrel is not measured that way, one starts at the very end, within the open area of the frame which the cylinder occupies when it is closed. That end of the barrel is the forcing cone, and you measure from that end to the muzzle, not where the barrel threads through the frame.
$450 for a 6 inch 66 in that condition is a good price, right about where it should be. As the others have said, if it is in fact a 5" gun that was shipped that way, then you'd have quite a scarce gun that would fetch far more than $450 in the usual sales venues.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So why tell a story that you inherited it?Every body in here will tell you any thing you want to know about a smith and wesson if you ask even if its just for your own curiosity. No need to make up stories. 450 is a good price if its in good condition.I seriously doubt he owned a gun shop be cause he is wrong about how measure the barrel .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys for the replys, I appreciate the input, yeah I think this guy may have been trying to fool me into thinking this is some kind of rare gun, it's probably a 6 ''.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
onenut58 said:
So why tell a story that you inherited it?Every body in here will tell you any thing you want to know about a smith and wesson if you ask even if its just for your own curiosity. No need to make up stories. 450 is a good price if its in good condition.I seriously doubt he owned a gun shop be cause he is wrong about how measure the barrel .
Well I had never been to this forum before and I was trying to get info, I don't know why, I guess I thought that would get the fastest responce.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts