Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New shooter to pistols here. I am trying to dry fire my S & W Model 659. I saw videos and it showed that I have to remove magazine and no round in chamber, which I did. I took it off safety and racked it back and then put safety on to de-cock it. Then I took it off safety and tried to dry fire and no trigger to pull. Tried to pull trigger back manually and no go. Then I tried to dry fire it without putting safety on and , no luck. I'm thinking it may be something simple, but can't figure out. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The 659 has a wonderful safety called the Magazine Disconnector Safety. It has saved numerous lives. YOU CANNOT FIRE it without the Magazine IN the pistol. There those that remove that safety. I believe that is a very bad idea to remove any safety device. I certainly not want to use any pistol that has been disconnected. Any S&W pistol that is designed WITHOUT a Magazine safety has a clear WARNING "CAUTION-CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED" Certain police departments request pistols without a magazine disconnect safety.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 659 has a wonderful safety called the Magazine Disconnector Safety. It has saved numerous lives. YOU CANNOT FIRE it without the Magazine IN the pistol. There those that remove that safety. I believe that is a very bad idea to remove any safety device. I certainly not want to use any pistol that has been disconnected. Any S&W pistol that is designed WITHOUT a Magazine safety has a clear WARNING "CAUTION-CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED" Certain police departments request pistols without a magazine disconnect safety.
I do know about the safety. I have not changed anything. Just can't figure out how to get it to dry fire. Any suggestions. I'm new but have paid attention to the safety stuff I've seen. I made SURE there were NO ammo in the mag or the barrel. Thanks for the advice, though. Can't hear it enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New shooter to pistols here. I am trying to dry fire my S & W Model 659. I saw videos and it showed that I have to remove magazine and no round in chamber, which I did. I took it off safety and racked it back and then put safety on to de-cock it. Then I took it off safety and tried to dry fire and no trigger to pull. Tried to pull trigger back manually and no go. Then I tried to dry fire it without putting safety on and , no luck. I'm thinking it may be something simple, but can't figure out. Thanks.
Also, didn't mean to confuse. I took it "OFF" safety. Did not take safety off of gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We'll take this one step at a time.
When you try to dry fire the 659 do you have a magazine in the gun?
Yes. I have tried it with it in and with it out. In the gun and off safety, trigger not responding. When I rack it back and then put it on safety, then same thing. When it is off safety and I rack it and put it on safety, it de-cocks the gun.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Rack the slide back and let it slam forward. THEN insert the empty magazine. Now you can dry fire the gun ONE TIME. You will have to repeat this process - remove the magazine, rack the slide, reinsert the magazine - for every trigger pull.

The magazine safety is separate and different from the thumb safety on the gun.

Guns with magazine safeties are really not suitable for dry fire practice unless you have WAY more patience than I do

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rack the slide back and let it slam forward. THEN insert the empty magazine. Now you can dry fire the gun ONE TIME. You will have to repeat this process - remove the magazine, rack the slide, reinsert the magazine - for every trigger pull.

The magazine safety is separate and different from the thumb safety on the gun.

Guns with magazine safeties are really not suitable for dry fire practice unless you have WAY more patience than I do
That's it! I tried it a couple of times and it worked. Thank you so much! I kept wondering what I was doing wrong. The videos all showed the new polymer (sp) pistols that would just do it over and over. This 659 is HEAVY! Wasting ammo trying to get steady and trigger pull down. Any suggestions other than get a lighter gun? I'm so glad I found this site. You guys have all been so helpful and quick to respond. I'm sure I will have more questions...so, be patient with me!!

·
Super Moderator
32,549 Posts
That's it! I tried it a couple of times and it worked. Thank you so much! I kept wondering what I was doing wrong. The videos all showed the new polymer (sp) pistols that would just do it over and over. This 659 is HEAVY! Wasting ammo trying to get steady and trigger pull down. Any suggestions other than get a lighter gun? I'm so glad I found this site. You guys have all been so helpful and quick to respond. I'm sure I will have more questions...so, be patient with me!!
Just join in and ask questions any time!

·
Premium Member
17,287 Posts
When the magazine is removed that disconnects the linkage from the trigger to the hammer/sear. The trigger will do nothing until a magazine is inserted. Just insure your pistol's chamber is cleared and the inserted magazine is empty.

Reactions: Postofficemike659

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello. I have a 559. Same as yours except carbon steel instead of stainless steel. Yes, they are heavy. It's a lot heavier than my Hi Power, I think even heavier than my full sized Ruger SR 1911 in stainless. Anyway, the trigger on mine was terrible when new but is much better now with some break in. I even remove the slide completely and then dry fire it to break in the trigger. Saves wear and tear on the firing pin since it's not even there for the hammer to strike. It has a much cleaner crisper break now than it did when new. I really like the gun even though it's heavy. It feeds perfectly and the weight does help keep on target, it sure doesn't jump all around.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello. I have a 559. Same as yours except carbon steel instead of stainless steel. Yes, they are heavy. It's a lot heavier than my Hi Power, I think even heavier than my full sized Ruger SR 1911 in stainless. Anyway, the trigger on mine was terrible when new but is much better now with some break in. I even remove the slide completely and then dry fire it to break in the trigger. Saves wear and tear on the firing pin since it's not even there for the hammer to strike. It has a much cleaner crisper break now than it did when new. I really like the gun even though it's heavy. It feeds perfectly and the weight does help keep on target, it sure doesn't jump all around.
Didn't know it would dry fire that way. Sounds like a good way to work on my trigger pull. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,287 Posts
Try these. Then you can leave your slide on and get the full effect of dry firing. I recommend these because they use a silicone insert for the firing pin to press against. The plastic/metal ones tend to either break up, or the spring loaded "primer" gets deformed with firing pin strikes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try these. Then you can leave your slide on and get the full effect of dry firing. I recommend these because they use a silicone insert for the firing pin to press against. The plastic/metal ones tend to either break up, or the spring loaded "primer" gets deformed with firing pin strikes.

Hey, thanks. I went to Amazon and read the description and the reviews and these sounded good for what I need/want. Ordered them and can't wait to try tomorrow. Do you use them? Does it cause excessive wear on slide, spring, etc? Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
17,287 Posts
I use them in my 1911 and my 9mm autos. They are made of anodized aluminum, so they shouldn't cause much wear. Sometimes you want to check how your pistol feeds and these are good for that too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I purchased the ammo from Amazon. Perfect for what I wanted to do. My one question is do the bullets eject when you dry fire. Mine has dry fired and then I have to rack the slide to get next one to dry fire. Thanks. Mike

·
Premium Member
17,287 Posts
Only when you fire ordinary ammunition will the pistol cycle after operating the trigger. The pistol's semi-automatic function requires a round be fired to cycle the action. The snap caps must be manually cycled through the pistol to feed. With the double action trigger, it is not necessary to cycle the pistol to operate the hammer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only when you fire ordinary ammunition will the pistol cycle after operating the trigger. The pistol's semi-automatic function requires a round be fired to cycle the action. The snap caps must be manually cycled through the pistol to feed. With the double action trigger, it is not necessary to cycle the pistol to operate the hammer.
THANK YOU 19and41! I got the shells and they are great. Just what I needed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts