Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a model 650 (marked so on the crane), but the 4 inch barrel says ".22 LONG RIFLE CTG." and the cylinder only accepts .22LR. The barrel front sight has a green implant also, not red. Serial num ACC2002. Great tight lockup on all 6 cylinders. Good trigger pull on single action, heavy on doubIe. I can't find any mention of a Model 650 marked for and accepting only 22LR. I thought I was getting a .22MRF. Is this a unique variant or simply a modified gun? Your thoughts?
Revolver Gun barrel Air gun Trigger Tool
Revolver Air gun Trigger Tints and shades Gun barrel

· Registered
365 Posts
According to my copy of the Standard Catalog of S&W, third edition, the 650 was also found with an auxiliary .22 long rifle cylinder. But also mentions that the barrel was marked "22 M.R.F. CTG." Also the picture found in the 3rd edition really doesn't match what you've pictured which appears to me as a 4" barrel. The 3rd edition mentions that the 650 had a 3" heavy barrel.

Also, welcome from the wheat fields of south central Kansas.

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Yep, the book says they had a 3 inch heavy barrel. Something about the dip where the barrel meets the frame doesn't look quite right, nor does the front sight. I suspect it has been re-barreled

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I wonder since the crane says 650 if I could have the cylinder bored to fit .22MRF? Or would a .22 LR barrel not work with .22MRF? Maybe time to see a gunsmith? I really like the magnum better.

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Since the barrel has Smith and Wesson stamped on the left side, wouldn’t it have been rebarreled by the factory? Maybe I should see if they have a record of it?
I seriously doubt that the factory would put a 22 long rifle marked barrel on a model 650, 22 magnum handgun.

· Registered
41,955 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts