Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me information about my SW-36. I bought this piece at a pawn shop in 1991 as a used gun. Paid $125.00 for it.

I’m researching it’s value and manufacturing date but have hit a wall on the date

on the bottom of the butt is stamped BBE9293. I can’t find any info on this style serial number.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Can anyone give me information about my SW-36. I bought this piece at a pawn shop in 1991 as a used gun. Paid $125.00 for it.

I’m researching it’s value and manufacturing date but have hit a wall on the date

on the bottom of the butt is stamped BBE9293. I can’t find any info on this style serial number.

Serial number listings in the Bible suggest the your Model 36 was manufactured in either late-1988 or early-1989. You should be able to get an exact date by calling S&W Customer Service. They are very good about that. (y)

Value depends a whole lot on condition. Right now, prices are generally higher on most used handguns. Assuming undamaged, it could be as low as $325-$350 or as high as $500-$600 all depending on condition (plus box/no box, etc.) and your local market.

++++++++++

EDIT: I now see that it's a 3" version. Very desirable! (y)(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
You have a nice looking Chief. I bought mine in 2015 for $425 from GunsInternational. Stocks match.

It shipped March 1974. 47 years old this month.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
It looks like yours is a 3" barrel. They are popular right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How can you tell if it’s a “Chief”? I noticed “Chiefs” were selling at higher prices and with more bidding competition. I don’t want misrepresent what I am offering.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Before S&W implemented model numbers in 1958, the 5 shot, snub nosed, J frame revolver in .38 Special caliber was simply called the "Chiefs Special." After it became the Model 36 in '58, it was still called the Chiefs Special and it still is today. So, you wouldn't be mis-characterizing it to call it a "Chiefs." As K22 notes, the 3" Chiefs are hot sellers right now, especially in top, original condition with box, papers and tools. Put the original grips back on it and picture it with the box, if you have it. BTW, if you do have the box, the label on it will probably tell you the exact date the gun was made. Post a picture of the label and we can interpret it for you.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I do not have the box. Bought this at a Pawn Shop in Albuquerque, NM in 1990-1991. I carried it as protection while hiking in NM and CO. Never had to fire it ... but I sure slept with it close by my pillow on more than a few nights.

·
Registered
30,035 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice revolver and those grips are interesting and go well with the gun.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It looks like yours is a 3" barrel. They are popular right now.
As K22 notes, the 3" Chiefs are hot sellers right now, especially in top, original condition with box, papers and tools.
Yes, I couldn't tell it was a 3" version when I posted this morning. (y) Everyone seems to want a 3" Chief right now and the prices generally reflect that... but it still all depends on condition, which I can't really pin down from the pix due to the light reflecting on the wear edges. But in top condition on GunBroker, I've been following some 3" Model 36 revolvers right up into the stratosphere! :giggle:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m thinkin between $500-$650.

There are some wear marks at the muzzle and along cylinder Ed he’s from being in a holster. My guess is 85% on bluing. As far as “use”. ... I may have shot one box of rounds through it in 30 years. I honestly can’t remember what it was like when I bought it ...but, it’s in EXCELLENT overall condition.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts

View attachment 500996

welcome mate

thewelshm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts