Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something interesting. I was in a nearby gunshop the other day and noticed a recent S & W box on the shelf in the back. It contained a very nice condition Model 28 (approx. 99%) with correct grips and paperwork. I then checked the box and it was the correct serial #, grips, etc. I thought that it was worth trading for. I then opened the cylinder/yoke and noticed that it was labeled as a Model 29. Directly below this was the same serial number as everything else. It appeared unmolested and original. It appears to me that Smith and Wesson apparently intended this frame to be for a Model 29, but possibly, when an order needed to be filled, the already-labeled frame was used to factory build a Model 28? Curious, but by the time the owner of the shop came back (next day), someone had scarfed it up, apparently not even realizing this important tidbit of information. Curious, though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Collectors report finding this from time to time. Model 29s marked Model 57 and vice versa, etc. It does not impact the overall value of the revolver.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I did not buy it right away was because the guy who works behind the counter is not authorized by the owner to price items he has not yet been able to "look at" or price himself. Plus, I don't think he really "knows guns" that much. I know it's not the way to run a business, but that is how he runs it. And so, you have to be there when something pops in and you may get a bargain. By the way, the finish showed no signs of being redone or touched up. I believe this left the factory this way. Just neat, is all.

·
Registered
656 Posts
With so many models built on the same frames mismarked guns will happen and they actually happen quite a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a nickle 6" 19-3 with a serial number on the frame. The serial number on the butt is one digit higher.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have a .44spl 6 1/2" (24-3) - frame stamped 29-3 inside yoke.?

But then again it's only a number stamp... :mrgreen:

Does anyone know if a c. 1980s could be lettered or not?
and if a letter would be of any value?

Su Amigo,
Dave

Reactions: LeMat

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dave,

You certainly could letter a 1980's gun and it would confirm the configuration.

However since the GCA '68 and the end of shipping guns to individuals, in all likelihood your letter will only show the gun going to a distributor such as Horton, RSR, Ashland, etc.

Repairs, modifications, factory rework history will not show up on the letter.

Some folks don't consider that worth the $50.

Drew Perez
S&WCA 1802

1 - 9 of 9 Posts